ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Monday, November 06, 2006

Scarvember

(Way better creation than Lacevember, if you ask me)
I am officially on a scarf kick right now. In addition to the Mountain Pine Beetle Scarf, I am still test knitting a pattern for Ev (which will go to the Red Scarf Project), and am also working on a So Called Scarf as well as a Scarf Around. And then there is the newest project - the sale yarn gift scarf.

I participated in the TTC Knit Along yarn crawl during my recent trip (future blog post). I spent at least 45 minutes in the basement at Romni Wools (their clearance section) because it's all about the bargain, baby! In a box containing skeins of yarn with no label, just prices written on masking tape, I found these 3 skeins of super soft yarns.
The cream coloured yarn on the right did have a label - it's 50/50 merino/alpaca. The other 2 skeins were incredibly soft, and I have since learned that they are most likely 100% alpaca. This flash photo shows the texture better.

I decided that I would knit a scarf for Kyle's buddy Steve, who is kind enough to let us stay in his apartment any time we visit the GTA. I started out using the one line pattern recently featured on the Yarn Harlot's blog. It look like something that Somerset might hork up. (OK, I exaggerate, but it wasn't great)
So now I am doing a k1p1 scarf inspired by the "purl scarf" from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. This was done on 8mm (US11) needles, but I think I will move up another needle size.

Most of these scarves are intended to be gifts for friends, with the exception of Mountain Pine Beetle and Scarf Around - those are for me. The only scarves I have knitted for myself are my ribbon yarn Clapotis and my Mobeius. And the Clapotis is more shawl than scarf. Because I didn't intend to knit anything for Xmas presents, it's a low pressure endeavour; the only one with a deadline is the Red Scarf Project scarf. Low pressure, easy to knit sans pattern, no need to swatch - the perfect project for me right now. Come to think of it, I need some mitts; my stretchy mini mitts are getting kind of dodgy. Can anyone suggest a pattern for the Auracania alpaca yarn I have in my stash?

Bezzie mentioned having New Year's Knitsolutions; with all the sock yarn I am accumulating, I think I will try to do a pair of socks a month in 2007. You read it here first.

Comments on "Scarvember"

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (Tue Nov 07, 12:58:00 AM EST) : 

Nice looking yarn there! Can't wait to see what you come up with for the RSP! I did my purl scarf on 13's too. I liked it better! Scarvember..love it! :)

 

Blogger Theresa said ... (Tue Nov 07, 04:50:00 AM EST) : 

I do wonder about lace in November - but I have so much of it!

 

post a comment