ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, February 12, 2009

February is For Finishing Frankensocks

I joined the "February is for Finishing" group on Ravelry - because the UFO completing fairy is taking its sweet time in making it to my house.

Today I finished weaving in the ends on my Raindrops Keep Falling on My Socks. I started working on them April 2007, and they have been sitting on a shelf for at least a year just waiting for me to finish the toe on the second sock.

Frankensocks from the top
Why the delay? Well, it turned out that I ran out of yarn. This is what happens when you knit a size 11 sock at 11 stitches to the inch. In a cable pattern to optimize yarn consumption.
Frankensocks from the bottom
I had some leftover Socks that Rock, so I used it to do the bottom part of the short row toe.
Note the perfect grafting job at the bottom - they may be Frankensocks, but they are Frankensocks without a visible seam.
Sock #1 knit up fine, but the first time I knit Sock #2, something seemed wrong - then I realized that I had used a 2.25mm needle rather than a 2.0mm needle - so I frogged it back, and then put the socks on a shelf because some other project caught my eye.

Next up is either Hand Hoodies or Yummy Fable gloves - I am realizing that my projects often get put aside at particularly finicky or difficult points in the pattern. Do I want to figure out how to knit the thumb on the first Yummy Fable glove, or figure out how to do applied I cord with a circ? Sounds like a good night to do laundry!

Labels:

Comments on "February is For Finishing Frankensocks"

 

Blogger Beverly (db81971) said ... (Thu Feb 12, 09:16:00 PM EST) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger Beverly (db81971) said ... (Thu Feb 12, 09:17:00 PM EST) : 

I'd suggest the applied i-cord, it is easypeasy!!!

 

Blogger turtlegirl76 said ... (Thu Feb 12, 10:31:00 PM EST) : 

Nice! Love your solution for running out of yarn.

 

Blogger deirdre said ... (Fri Feb 13, 08:45:00 AM EST) : 

The socks look great! And isn't it nice to clear something like that off your plate?

 

Blogger TracyKM said ... (Sun Feb 15, 06:33:00 PM EST) : 

I love your solution!
I came here after searching for ideas on Ravelry and saw your "Lines in the Sand Sweater" and that you bought some of the yarn in Whitby....that's where I lived for 25 years....I was just looking at your blogger profile and LOVE your answer about the forks/spoons/knives. I sold Cutco for awhile! LOL. What a crazy small world the internet has made this planet!

 

Blogger Cathy-Cate said ... (Sun Feb 15, 10:34:00 PM EST) : 

Nice Frankensocks, great solution and IMPECCABLE grafting!

Laundry sounds like a good solution when your brain is full -- but then you can sit down between loads and figure out applied I-cord! (easy, rilly, and fun in a way!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tue Mar 17, 08:47:00 PM EDT) : 

Hmmm.. I most definitely read a couple of articles about this topic and it brings me back down memory lane :)
The question that I ask myself is what caused something like this to happen or be written??

 

post a comment