ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Letter from the Iditor, New Year's edition

Dear people at Colinette:

You do make very lovely yarns, and your colourways are inspired. I know that it's very important to make certain that you buy enough yarn in a single dyelot to complete your project in order to prevent having noticeable differences in the finished product.
However, you'd think that this shouldn't be a problem with a single skein project. Apparently, I was lucky enough to stumble upon a 2 for 1 special when I bought a skein Iona a few months ago - 2 dye lots in 1 skein. You see, there was a knot in the skein about 1/4 of the way through, and there's a definite difference in how much of the lighter colours are present in the two parts of the skein.

Now I realize that you probably dye the yarn in small batches. However, if you ran out of yarn from one dyelot while winding up a skein, it's somewhat poor form to just make up the rest with a second dyelot. Unless you then toss it into the mill end pile rather than the "Those Canadians are too polite to complain" pile.

Happy New Year,

LLD

Labels:

Comments on "Letter from the Iditor, New Year's edition"

 

Blogger Lynn said ... (Fri Jan 02, 12:45:00 AM EST) : 

Ah, but Grasshopper, you complain so eloquently.

I have the current project on the needles, and one last skein [which had a break partway in, when I was winding it] in a different colorway, and then I think I will be done with Jitterbug. Great yarn, great colors, and I've been spoiled by other dyers with more generous skeins.

Viva la Wollmeise!!!

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Fri Jan 02, 07:38:00 AM EST) : 

Hee hee, you're not the first person I've seen complain about that. The dyelots is a new one though...

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Fri Jan 02, 09:43:00 AM EST) : 

It's very pretty, but urgh! I hate it when that happens. Or when I actually want to match up my Noro stripes... only to notice that the bit that looked like a spit-splice actually was, and three whole colors are missing in the middle...

OK, enough complaining. I hope they up their quality control budget!

 

Blogger Wendy said ... (Fri Jan 02, 10:38:00 AM EST) : 

The ultimate frustration!

 

Blogger Yarn Devil said ... (Fri Jan 02, 02:19:00 PM EST) : 

Enough to make you cross eyed.. isn't it? I had some that had so many flaws in it... I almost went cross eyed.. I complained to the company and they sent me new... though with the baby and such I have yet to see if the new skeins had any trouble!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Fri Jan 09, 09:49:00 AM EST) : 

I had that happen also - HALFWAY thru a skein of Colinette Mohair. I had a two toned feather and fan scarf. After almost two years of debating, I finally frogged - yes, frogged mohair - and have two very different half skeins of Colinette Mohair in Dusk. Haven't yet decided to do with them, but I feel like I was duped. It was not inexpensive yarn.

 

post a comment