ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Friday, December 19, 2008

Monkey Doo Doo

As we were getting ready to leave for Winnipeg last Saturday morning, I was trying to decide which socks to wear - I put one Feed My Brain sock on my right foot and a Monkey sock on my left foot and asked The Gambler which I should go with (even though I have to make very important and snap decisions on a regular basis when I am at work, I can still be immobilized by indecision on issues that really don't matter. It's like a secret power.) He said "Wear the right socks". As I started to take the Monkey sock off I noticed something:

monkey hole
There's a hole in my Monkeys!

I initially cursed whatever had snagged the sock and ripped the yarn, but after a closer look:

monkey problem

I realized that all the strands are intact. I either a) dropped a stitch when I knit them and didn't notice until now, or b) knit a stitch with only a few fibres of yarn, leaving the bulk of that stitch "free", and when those fibres broke, the stitch started to drop. Whatever had happended, I had worn (and washed) the socks at least 5 or 6 times before noticing it.

At first I thought that I would just rip back to that point in the sock and re-knit it, but since it is just above the ankle, I'm going to use some of the leftover yarn to pick up the stitches and do a patch job.

Labels:

Comments on "Monkey Doo Doo"

 

Blogger Aunt Kathy said ... (Fri Dec 19, 07:36:00 PM EST) : 

I wouldn't have a clue about how to fix socks. It must be the Dr in you, lol

 

Blogger Lynn said ... (Sat Dec 20, 04:06:00 AM EST) : 

A nasty old moth chomped my Monkeys, which I had only worn *once*. So they are in timeout until I decide how best to fix them, or whether I should just frog them and make a pair of fingerless gloves. If you patch yours, please post pictures. The engineer [first major, long ago] in me is curious, but the teenager in me just says WAAAAHHHHH!

 

Blogger betseydoodle said ... (Sat Dec 20, 08:10:00 AM EST) : 

Monkey doo doo... :P

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Sat Dec 20, 12:40:00 PM EST) : 

I think you're right that patching would be better - and it shouldn't be that difficult to do. Sort of like closing the gaps between fingers on gloves :) Btw, I *love* the colors in that yarn!
Barb

 

Blogger Yarn Devil said ... (Sat Dec 20, 01:14:00 PM EST) : 

They look like very fun socks!!! and yes a patch will be a good repair!

 

Blogger Kimberly said ... (Sun Dec 21, 11:09:00 AM EST) : 

Agghhh, I've seen this happen to others *fingers crossed here* Some yarns I find tend to split abit & if your knitting like made you don't notice & then this happens. Hope your patch job does the trick..love the colors. Had to laugh "It's like a secret power" Tehehe. ME TOO!

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Sun Dec 21, 09:47:00 PM EST) : 

Patch job, definitely. I wouldn't frog the whole thing either. Oh, and on the bright side: when I read your caption, I thought you were going to explain how you managed to catch Denghe fever up in Canada or something... thank goodness, it's just a sock hole!

 

Blogger Merry Karma said ... (Tue Dec 30, 08:50:00 PM EST) : 

I like your patching idea. Whew! I think I would've arrested at the sight.

 

post a comment