ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Friday, January 23, 2009

Miss Match

I am liking my Yummy Fable gloves, but...

First Glove fingers
I do find the cuff is quite long as the pattern is written. And it turns out that I will be several grams of yarn short of the Fable yarn judging by the amount of yarn left thus far. So I decided that once I finish the right hand glove, I would knit the left hand glove using the yarns I intend for my second pair - and eliminate one of the charts to decrease the cuff length by about 60%.


Green and Green
My plan was to use some green anonymous sock yarn I had bought some time ago together with the green Yummy yarn. I gave myself points for using up some stash yarn...


green disappearing

But unfortunately, the solid yarn disappears into the handpaint yarn at the lighter parts of the handpaint.

So, I took a trip to Romni Wools and picked up 2 skeins of Fable - one was THE LAST skein of the coral (whew! Good thing I didn't just wait until I ran out!! Obviously this was a sign from God that you should never postpone a yarn purchase). I also got this skein of teal:

Green and Teal

The colour combo seemed kind of familiar...
Feed My Brain Socks front

I cast on for the second glove that evening:
teal and greens

It's looking pretty good, although if you take a look at the part of the cast on that overlaps my ring finger, the contrast is much less at that particular point of the Yummy colourway:
teal and greens close

It's a little more obvious sans flash:
teal and greens no flash

Apparently I still have a ways to go in embracing the colourwork concept of not matching too closely.

BTW - I fully intend to wear the gloves as a pair once I have a right hand and left hand glove. Hey - the pattern will match, right? It's like the Steven Wright joke: "My socks DO match. They're the same thickness."

In the last month or 2, my posting frequency has dropped off because it has been INSANELY busy at work. So next week, we are taking a well deserved Beach Holiday.

I'll be back in February - stay warm!

Labels:

Comments on "Miss Match"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Fri Jan 23, 10:17:00 AM EST) : 

I like the blue/greens colorway, even if it isn't as contrasting as some! And I think omitting that second pattern on the cuff, right before the hand, would work well, too. On the first glove, it kind of gets lost in the pattern for the hand - the non-floral looking section of the cuff would be better before the hand. Although I've been knitting for decades, I haven't done any colorwork since my now 29-year old son was little. Seeing your gloves tempts me to try it again!
Barb

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Fri Jan 23, 02:49:00 PM EST) : 

both of those pairs of gloves are going to be stunning! Makes me want to knit a pair...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Fri Jan 23, 03:21:00 PM EST) : 

Great gloves, and of course I love the blues and greens. It is hard to use handpaints in colorwork and predict whether or not they'll show up.

 

Blogger Kaye said ... (Fri Jan 23, 03:53:00 PM EST) : 

Ooo, I do like the blue and green. But then again I like the dark and light pink too.

Have a good vacay!

 

Blogger Yarn Devil said ... (Fri Jan 23, 06:38:00 PM EST) : 

Cool with the gloves! They will be a neat pair! Have a great vacay!!

 

Blogger MaƂgorzata said ... (Sat Jan 24, 12:28:00 AM EST) : 

I like the idea of mismatched gloves! Go ahead and wear them just like that. It has been unbelievable here too, have seen too many awful things at work these past three weeks, but no end in sight yet. And I am still struggling with my Jaywalkers.
Have a great holiday!!!

 

Blogger Jolynn said ... (Sat Jan 24, 01:29:00 AM EST) : 

The blue and greens are beautiful together!

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Sat Jan 24, 08:27:00 AM EST) : 

That's a lot of knitting! I love all of the color combinations.

Personally, I'm a sucker for gloves with long cuffs because they keep the wind out and make arms look long and elegant. But if you don't like 'em... hey, that's the beauty of knitting your own stuff!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Fri Jan 30, 05:41:00 PM EST) : 

Lovely gloves. I like the blue/green combination of colors but both color combos are gorgeous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tue Mar 17, 08:54:00 PM EDT) : 

Great tutorial! Very informative in how well worded and descriptive you were! You know they say that if one knows how to describe what they want really well, then life is just as good as how you describe it :)
Its great for people who feel like time is running against them and then land on your blog and feel like a whole burden was just lifted off of their shoulder.. I admire and respect people who take
time to make it easier for others.. Thanks a bunch! :)

 

post a comment