ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Friday, June 06, 2008

Call off the search party...

...I'm still here, and still knitting.


side




My week on call ended last Saturday, and on Sunday my parents arrived for a week long visit. I'm back on call on Saturday, and I can't wait. Time spent with my mother is very tiring.


Speaking of searching, a knitblogger (whose name/blog I am blanking on - she's a medical student) tagged me for the "7 random things about you" meme a while back. I thought I'd adjust it a bit to:


"7 places that you can find yarn in my house" (this doesn't count the yarn I keep in my office at work)





The bins, of course.



IMG_5420

The bookcase.


The basket (on top as well as inside)



IMG_5423








The cheese box



The stainless steel picnic basket (at least that's what the thing looks like. For all I know, it could be a lobster trap - we picked it up at a garage sale)


IMG_5419


And 2 somewhat less traditional storage spots (because everyone has cheeseboxes and picnic basket/lobster trap hybrids sitting around their living room, right?):



Check out these handsome souvenir mugs I picked up on the cruise:



Surprise!



Finally - meet our chest freezer.



We don't really need it for food right now.

what's in the freezer
So...

I like to think that this gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Cool Wool".
Is it any wonder that I couldn't find the rest of the yarn to knit the Sideways Cardigan?

I'm not going to tag anyone for this meme.

Instead, I'll run a contest; I'm calling it the "You put yarn WHERE?!? Contest".

What's the weirdest place that you've stored yarn in? Post about it on your blog, and leave a link to the post in the comments. On July 1st, I'll select 2 winners - one at random, and one that the cats deem most creative/weird. If you link to this post, your name will be entered twice in the random draw. Posting a photo of the yarn in the hiding place also gets you a bonus entry.

If you are blogless, leave an email address in your comment - or take this opportunity to enter the wonderful world of blogging!

IMG_4595

I can be bribed...






Labels: ,

Comments on "Call off the search party..."

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Fri Jun 06, 07:13:00 PM EDT) : 

Nice socks!

Hmm...now I gotta think where's the weirdest place I've put yarn? Hmm...

 

Blogger Cathy-Cate said ... (Fri Jun 06, 07:17:00 PM EDT) : 

Those socks are way cool.

I'll have to think about the weirdest place -- it's everywhere, kind of like tribbles, and it all seems normal. Wait -- I'll ask my husband. And daughters. They should be a good weird-meter.

Cheese from Zingerman's? I'm jealous!

 

Blogger Ev said ... (Fri Jun 06, 07:47:00 PM EDT) : 

The socks are really looking good! I'm impressed!

I'm really looking forward to hearing about some of the weird places people store yarns. Having recently moved, mine's still all in one place (more or less).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Sat Jun 07, 11:35:00 AM EDT) : 

Kitties! ::scratches ears::
Nice yarn hiding. Sadly I am thinking most of my hiding places rae fairly traditional (closets, boxes), since moving. But maybe I can weird it up for you just a bit.

 

Blogger Beadknitter said ... (Sat Jun 07, 11:55:00 AM EDT) : 

It's so nice to see someone else has a book shelf that looks just like mine. All yarny and messy. Love it!

 

Blogger cpurl17 said ... (Sat Jun 07, 11:33:00 PM EDT) : 

Hmmm there was the time one of the cats kindly relocated a ball of yarn into the litter box..

 

Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said ... (Sun Jun 08, 05:37:00 AM EDT) : 

You've certainly got me beat with the travel mugs of yarn and the freezer. I have the same bookshelf as well.

 

Blogger Ev said ... (Sun Jun 08, 10:51:00 AM EDT) : 

You've been hit with another meme... sorry. See my blog for details.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Sun Jun 15, 09:06:00 PM EDT) : 

Nice socks!

I don't have much of a stash - I'm a new knitter. So no weird places yet!

Jackie
JackieCastsOn Ravelry

 

Blogger Happily Knit said ... (Sun Jun 15, 10:57:00 PM EDT) : 

This summer my stash has invaded my brother's room completely. I'm worried it's going to divide, multiply, and try to conquer the master while we're all on vacation. God help us.

 

Blogger wenat said ... (Mon Jun 16, 04:38:00 PM EDT) : 

My yarn gets everywhere. The worst was the time my 4-year-old tried to wind it for me on our tinker toy swift. It was strung everywhere throughout the living room. There's yarn in my office at work, and there's yarn in almost every room of my house. There's even yarn in my toiletries bag (I barely travel, so it seemed a logical place to keep it -- an emergency yarn-and-toothpaste grab, as it were).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Sat Jun 21, 04:28:00 PM EDT) : 

Weirdest place: I have two balls of yarn and some needles in the glove compartment of my car. Never know when you'll be stuck at traffic.

I also used to store roving in the trunk of my car while in college. I had a largely free-range hamster, it kept her from turning it into bedding.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Sat Jun 21, 07:30:00 PM EDT) : 

I have stashed in hubby's closet, in the computer desk, under the bed, and inside the sofa. (it opens to reveal a storage box)

 

Blogger Darcys Knotty Knitter said ... (Sun Jun 22, 10:05:00 PM EDT) : 

I blogged about the contest and linked back.
I added a picture of under my bathroom sink of my bathroom stash
And a picture of me knitting on the toilet.I get 3 entries yeah me!!!!
http://darcyknottyknitter.blogspot.com/2008/06/you-put-yarn-where-contest.html

 

Blogger HODGEPODGESPV said ... (Sun Jun 22, 10:35:00 PM EDT) : 

you take the cake...i dont know if i can top the freezer storage idea...does it keep you freezer warmer to have wool in it?

 

Blogger Kitten With a Whiplash said ... (Mon Jun 23, 05:20:00 PM EDT) : 

Hi there! I read about your contest at Darcy's Blog. I've posted my answer and pics on my blog, and a link back.

 

Blogger ikkinlala said ... (Tue Jun 24, 02:01:00 AM EDT) : 

Most of my yarn is just stored in a bin, but I do have a couple of skeins in the freezer and a few in other places. I think the weirdest place might be the glove box of my dad's truck - I need to have something there to keep me occupied while on firewood-gathering expeditions (I help split and stack, but do not run the chainsaw, so for the first 20 minutes or so I am sitting around with nothing in particular to do).

ikkinlala AT yahoo DOT ca

 

Blogger Bluebird49 said ... (Tue Jun 24, 02:23:00 PM EDT) : 

Love the socks--and loved the places you've stashed your amazing yarn p0rn!

Actually, I guess this is too--um secretive, but when my husband started to notice I was bringing in yarn too much and much too soon--I bought a large box of panty liners, took them out and put them in a WalMart bag, and stashed the yarn in the box. I mean--do you think he EVER looks in that box? Nope! Now, I have LOTS of panty liners....AND boxes!

I'll link to your contest from my blog--nobody much reads it--but I'll be glad to do it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tue Jun 24, 11:51:00 PM EDT) : 

I have yarn everywhere. Like really everywhere. Probably the weirdest place is inside an old canoe we bought "just in case". It is one huge container and as long as we don't use it, it might as well serve a purpose.


bloglessinnj@gmail.com

 

Blogger Elaine said ... (Wed Jun 25, 09:24:00 AM EDT) : 

zowie - some of you have some "great" ideas for hiding (er ... storing) stash!

The weirdest place I ever kept yarn was in my daughter's Pamper's bags when she was a baby. Whenever a bag was emptied, I had a great new place to put the yarn and since my husband never thought of changing a diaper and digging around in the storage part of changing table I was safe. My husband did ask once why there were so many bags of diapers in there when I opened the cabinet doors in his presence and I just said that there was a good sale that made it worthwhile stocking up. This was true, but the good sale was on yarn, not diapers, a nuance I did NOT mention :-)

I'm posting your contest on my blog too for an extra entry. This is really a fun contest - I love it.

 

Blogger Turtle said ... (Wed Jun 25, 10:46:00 AM EDT) : 

laughing at the freezer, that is a winner! Aside from the closet in the spare room (hubby actually dared suggest he move his clothing in there to give me the whole closet in the bedroom. No you can't i protested maybe a bit too strongly. He just has no idea!) I also keep a pair of socks on "display" on top of the cd player in my nail room at work, i shuck out the knitters this way and make friends! My messenger bag always has something as does the glove compartment i nthe jeep. My backpack stores a bit extra yarn (this is the large backpacking pack) and the picnic basket is also full of projects to come and knit magazines. It sounds like i have a big stash but i really don't, but what a good feeling it is to kow you have yarn around!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wed Jun 25, 03:58:00 PM EDT) : 

I am so boring - the weirdest place I store yarn is in the linen closet (behind the towels so it isn't obvious). Of course I always have a bag in the car, and in my carry-on when I travel, in my desk drawer, and I actually walk and knit almost every day. I have a little pouch that I clip only my jean loops. Makes me so utterly cool :-)

jerseyjessie AT gmail dot com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wed Jun 25, 08:42:00 PM EDT) : 

the strangest place I've put yarn...ummm does it count if the kitty put it?

my Ezma kitty had a blockage, and the dr. went in & sure enough.....it was yarn. Yep. Even my kitty loves yarn.

_______

if that doesn't count, I guess the strangest place would have to be in my pocket as I'm walking. It works!

my Ravelry name is Castrated Bean, if you happen to be on there!

my blog is

The Dustbunnies Will Wait

http://bruisinraincloud.wordpress.com/

be looking for a ping back!

thanks for hosting this!

 

Blogger purple-power said ... (Thu Jun 26, 11:34:00 AM EDT) : 

Weird place for yarn? Hmmm - how about a toilet tank. Now, before you either say yuck or wonder about the water, let me explain this was a new toilet we bought and had sitting down in the basement forever waiting for my husband to get it together to install. I figured that the surest way to get him to move was to either turn it into a planter or yarn repository. The yarn storage won because it was easily reversible whereas soil in the tank or bowl wasn't.

I'm purple on Ravelry

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Sat Jun 28, 10:24:00 PM EDT) : 

Yikes. Some of you ... well no comment. Now where I put yarn is perfectly normal - in my file cabinet at work. I argued for years until they finally gave me one. By then, most of the things that I needed to file were available on line so I didn't need the file drawers at all so ... my very large, very convenient yarn storage system.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Mon Jun 30, 05:43:00 PM EDT) : 

I have some in my glove compartment in my SUV...ya never know when you might need some...

Sorry, my blog is temporarily misbehaving, so I will leave my email addy:
princesspeanutsmommy at gmail dot com

Good luck with your contest!

 

Blogger Lynn said ... (Mon Jun 30, 07:44:00 PM EDT) : 

OOOH I love all the places you have yarn stashes!! I'm not as creative as you are though. My yarn is stored in more traditional places like plastic bins, the closet, purses. I'm afraid if I put the fiberly goodness someplace else I might not find it again!!!!

 

post a comment