ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

If I only had a (working) brain...

Last Saturday, I got home from work, and The Gambler wasn't home. I decided that all I wanted for dinner was a salad. We generally buy the "3 in a bag" romaine hearts - there was a brand new bag in the refrigerator, so I opened it up, washed one of the hearts, peeled off some leaves, and then wrapped the remaining lettuce in a paper towel, put it back in the bag with the other lettuce, and then put it away.

Sunday night, The Gambler was getting my lunch ready for Monday:
"Where's the lettuce?" he asked.

"I put it back in the fridge - did you try looking in the vegetable drawer?" I replied, mentally shaking my head at his suboptimal food-locating skills.

"...I don't see it in the drawer - just some peppers, carrots and celery"

"Well, maybe it's on that shelf below the cheese drawer - where we store the wraps."

"Nope, don't see it."

Obviously, I think to myself, my husband must suffer from Male Pattern Blindness - being unable to see anything in the fridge that is not in front and at eye level.
"Let me just finish this row and I'll find it for you"

Two minutes later - he triumphantly announces: "I found the lettuce - you put it in the freezer."

Oh.

Last fall, during our Eurotrip, I stopped in at a Lana Grossa yarn shop in Nurnberg, and saw some discontinued bulky yarn for the bargain price of 1.5 euros/skein. So I bought 9 of them.
Generally, the thickest yarn that I knit with is worsted weight, but I liked the colourway and I couldn't resist the bargain. After we returned home, I looked through Ravelry to find a sweater pattern that called for bulky yarn, and found the Side-way Rib Cardigan by Nora Gaughan - used 7-9 skeins of bulky yarn depending on the size knit (BTW it was not entirely clear what "size" the 3 options represented - "garment on model measures 40 inches around" does not help one to decide which version to knit unless you tell us how many inches around the model is). It had been published in the first issue of KnitScene. I decided that I'd knit it at some point, and ordered a copy from Interweave Press.

Fast forward to Saturday night - after eating my salad, I sat down and swatched for the cardigan:

The gauge wasn't quite on , but I blocked it, and set it to dry - a quick re-measurement suggested that it would be fine. I then read through the pattern, trying to decide a) which size to knit, b) whether to knit the sleeves flat (as written) or in the round, and c) whether to lengthen the garment.

Sunday, I managed to escape the hospital early, and sat down to do some knitting. I decided that I should probably enter the yarn into my Ravelry stash. I entered "9" skeins in the total. The stash yarn summary indicated that I had 475 yards of yarn. Didn't ring any alarm bells. I took another look at the pattern to decide how much leeway I had in terms of making the garment longer - and saw that the yarn used in the pattern came in 100g skeins, and the yarn that I bought came in 50g skeins. The discontinued yarn that I bought in Germany in October.

Oh.

Surprisingly, when you google "Lana Grossa Colore", you don't come across any online shops that sell it anymore. So I then tried making all sorts of bargains with the Devil, looking at other bulky yarns that I might mix in, messaging poeple who had some of the same colourway to see if they might want to sell/trade for their skeins, and emailing Romni Wools to see if they had any (they don't).

Damn.

But I did come across the Yoke vest pattern from Loop-d-Loop (available at my friendly neighborhood public library), which should work with my yardage (although the pattern is written for only 2 sizes - small/medium and large, where large = 34 inch bust, and the only difference between the 2 sizes is needle size, which is a designer copout IMHO). So the Side-way rib Sweater goes back in the freezer.

I mean queue.

Labels:

Comments on "If I only had a (working) brain..."

 

Blogger Trillian42 said ... (Wed Apr 16, 03:06:00 PM EDT) : 

Gah. I made the same 50g-100g goof when buying yarn to make Bacardi from "No Sheep". I didn't catch that the Butterfly Super 10 comes in 100g, where the Takhi Cotton Classic (which everyone refers to as the "equivalent in the US") is 50. So I have exactly half what I need. In, like, 8 colors.

And I agree with the "Size up by changing needle size" thing. Total copout. Plus, it means that bigger sizes will have crappy looking fabric, because they are knit too loosely!

 

Blogger Macoco said ... (Wed Apr 16, 04:08:00 PM EDT) : 

Male pattern blindness made me giggle at my desk.

 

Blogger Maggie said ... (Wed Apr 16, 06:08:00 PM EDT) : 

Oh no! The yarn is gorgeous, too. I'm sad on your behalf you can't make the sweater with it. :(

You know what's worse than you having put the lettuce in the freezer? Your husband CHECKING THE FREEZER because he clearly knows you. :) (don't hit me)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wed Apr 16, 09:12:00 PM EDT) : 

So sad about the yarn...it's beautiful! Also, you've been tagged, see my blog for details!

 

Blogger Kniterary Knews said ... (Thu Apr 17, 08:17:00 AM EDT) : 

You could make lettuce soup! Really it is good!

 

Blogger Holly said ... (Thu Apr 17, 09:11:00 AM EDT) : 

Did you try the online German stores? Just to see if they have any left. If you don't have their URLs, I can forward.

Thanks for the quiet chuckle, it is not like we all haven't done this a few times....

 

Blogger Yvette said ... (Sat Apr 19, 03:20:00 PM EDT) : 

Very funy and sadly familiar story.
I've been known to put my wallet in the fridge when unpacking groceries!

 

Blogger f. pea said ... (Mon Apr 21, 12:29:00 PM EDT) : 

oh man - i'm totally with you on that flakey wavelength right now!!

 

post a comment