ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Monday, April 28, 2008

Ukrainian Cat Pelt Yarn

The Downtown Knit Collective Spring Knitter's Frolic was this weekend, and a few skeins of yarn followed me home. I've yet to photograph them, so today I'm showcasing my most unique yarn aquisition of late:

Ukrainian Cat Pelt Yarn - Closeup

Maggie brought it to SnB several weeks back; a Ukrainian supplier sent her to try out. It's mohair, but it doesn't feel as soft as you'd expect. It felt very familiar, and eventually it hit me - it feels like Greedo's fur. His fur is a different texture from Somerset's; it's firmer, and feels more like guard hairs than undercoat. For some reason, the yarn fascinated me, and Maggie was kind enough to give it to me. BTW - Maggie probably has a few skeins of yarn left over from the Frolic; check out her store for updates in the next few days!

So now I have to figure out what to knit with it. It's 50g, and I have no idea what the yardage is - it looks like laceweight, so it should be pretty decent. Maybe it would work well as the "knitted curtain" from Mason Dixon Knitting. Whatever it becomes, the project will have to live up to the name "Ukrainian Cat Pelt _____"





Hey! What's with all this talk about Cat Pelts?




Might I point out that I AM CANADIAN!!!

Labels: ,

Comments on "Ukrainian Cat Pelt Yarn"

 

Blogger Maggie said ... (Mon Apr 28, 11:01:00 PM EDT) : 

I must correct you, I did not spin it. It's handspun, yes, but they spin it over there in the Ukraine and sell it as yarn. I wouldn't have been able to get through 50g of that fibre, at that weight!

I still think you had an ingenious idea to make that curtain from MDK. It's not an against-the-skin yarn, that is for sure, but it will probably block out fabulously and make a stunning lace curtain. :)

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Tue Apr 29, 07:16:00 AM EDT) : 

My sister wants me to spin her cat's hair. Cat to curtain? Why not!

 

Blogger cpurl17 said ... (Tue Apr 29, 12:51:00 PM EDT) : 

Lord knows I have enough cat hair in my house to knit a circus tent.

 

Blogger Geri said ... (Tue Apr 29, 09:19:00 PM EDT) : 

You could also dye it!

 

Blogger Merry Karma said ... (Fri May 02, 09:55:00 PM EDT) : 

Not to worry Greedo and Somerset - Your cat hairs are much nicer.

 

Blogger Merry Karma said ... (Fri May 02, 09:57:00 PM EDT) : 

P.S. Too nice for momma to be knitting knitting.

(I hit send before I finished my thought.)

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Sat May 03, 10:00:00 PM EDT) : 

Now that's funny. If it weren't so think, I'd suggest fuzzy slippers!

 

post a comment