Deviation from the Deviation
|I finished one of the secret projects last night. Since Sandi was kind enough to stop in at Romni to buy me another skein of Wildfoote in blueI thought that I might as well start working on The Deviation from Standard Handwarmers (again). BTW - this brings the total skeins of yarn purchased for this "stashbusting" project to 3. Which is the number of skeins that I started out with in my stash. I wonder what stash yarn:purchased yarn ratio is necessary for a project to qualify as "stashbusting"... |
Now CathyCate had previously left a comment indicating that she would add some ribbing to the bottom of the handwarmer. I decided to try this, and thought that it would be a good opportunity for me to give corrugated ribbing a try. And guess what?
I love it! I love the way the colours worked out, with the dark purl stitches peeking through. And it's not just the way it looks - I love the rhythm of knitting it. Love love love it! I want to hug it and squeeze it and name it George!!! I want to run outside and show strangers this thing of beauty that I just created (Oh, wait, I'd probably have to pay royalties to someone if I did that...). I want to start knitting fair isle sweaters just for the corrugated ribbing. In all seriousness, I had trouble falling asleep because I couldn't wait until next morning when I could start knitting the handwarmers again.
So this morning, I woke up early, and started knitting. I took a break to go to yoga class, then came back and started knitting again. I knit until I was almost through the first 8 row pattern repeat:
I decided then to take a look at the photo in the book to see how much contrast there was between the background yarn and the second darkest yarn:
That's when I realized something horrible. This pattern is knit from the top down, not the bottom up. I had just added ribbing to the top of the handwarmer. AAAARGH!!!
Sigh. This, boys and girls, is why you are supposed to read through patterns before you start knitting. Although in my defence, I had read through the pattern, but I hadn't sat down and thought about the construction. The fact that the first line of the thumb gusset involved casting on 19 stitches hadn't rung any bells.
So I had 3 options - 1) rip everything back and start over, 2) start knitting the thumb in reverse at this point, and just accept the fact that the pattern would be "upside down" when worn, or 3) rip back to the ribbing, and then start knitting the chart from the top down, replacing the K2togs and SSKs in the thumb gore chart with kfbs.
I've decided to go with option #3 - as much as I enjoy knitting the corrugated ribbing, I am definitely not a process knitter. When it comes time to knit the second glove, I will follow the pattern as written, and then see what difference there is between the 2.
Labels: Deviation from Standard