ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Grab bag post

Anne is having a contest.
***************
Overheard at a pub while waiting for the other SnBers to arrive:
"You don't have a cell phone? How do you communicate with your kids?"
***************
This morning I had to get to work early to do a procedure, so I didn't have time to get a lunch ready. Not a problem - I had a container with some leftover chinese food sitting in the mini-fridge freezer in our on-call room. It had been there for about 2-3 weeks, and the opportunity had not yet arisen for me to eat it. When I got to work, I went to take it out of the freezer to thaw. The freezer was empty. Nothing there except for ice build up.
Now, the only people who use this call room are those doctors who are on call for the ICU. Right now there are only 2 of us. So if I didn't take it out, my colleague probably did. Which meant that he either ate it, or threw it out. Both possibilities baffled me - what the hell was he thinking?
So, I decided to check out the lunch buffet at a nearby Indian restaurant (our hospital doesn't really have a cafeteria). It's in a strip mall, along with a Christian bookstore, a mini-mart, and a Goodwill. I decided to pop into Goodwill to see if I could find any knitting books there (several of my knitting books are from secondhand shops). No knitting books, but I found this for $2.50:
A cool little metal container which can serve to store all sorts of stuff...
...such as the collection of sock yarn leftovers (mostly Patons Kroy) that was on sale for $2.50. The colours are mostly blues/browns/greys, and perfect for contrast toes/heels. Or maybe even some fair isle. So I actually benefitted from having my lunch tossed.
But rest assured...I'm still bitter about it.
****************
Although it looks like Somerset is admiring her reflection in the lid in the photo above, she was actually rubbing her face against the edge. She loves rubbing her face against rough things, especially zippers. She has all sorts of weird habits - for instance, She's been drinking water out of glasses for a while now.
But now it's getting a bit bizarre - she'll walk by a fresh bowl of water to go check out the coffee table for glasses containing water. Today there was a glass that was too small for her head to fit into, and she started going crazy - scratching at some nearby paper in frustration, trying to figure out how she could get at that water.
***********************
Geri commented a few posts back that it's surprising that Somerset tolerates Greedo sitting on top of her. The other night, Somerset was curled up in a little ball sleeping. So Greedo decided to get comfy as well.
Hey, where's Somerset's head?
Here it is!
I don't know which cat is weirder - Greedo for laying down on top of Somerset's head, or Somerset, for tolerating it for a good 5 minutes.
*************************
Incidentally, not all of the yarn in the bag from Goodwill was Kroy. There was some balls that looked like they were acrylic, and one very old ball band that proudly proclaimed:
"100% Virgin Nylon"

Labels:

Comments on "Grab bag post"

 

Blogger Aunt Kathy said ... (Fri Mar 28, 07:25:00 AM EDT) : 

Ooh I love storage containers... and would take that over frozen left over Chinese any day. I love your cats.

 

Blogger turtlegirl76 said ... (Fri Mar 28, 07:42:00 AM EDT) : 

Ripple would have Calvin's head if he were to try that.

 

Blogger Debbie D said ... (Fri Mar 28, 07:49:00 AM EDT) : 

Don't cha know, water ALWAYS taste better out someone else's glass!


Love the cat photos.

 

Blogger Vaedri said ... (Fri Mar 28, 08:42:00 AM EDT) : 

My cat's water dish has now been replaced with an old drinking glass, since he wouldn't drink out of the dish. Uncivilized. But he won't drink out of the glass, even, if there is any chance of a dripping tap or a toilet lid left up and unattended. They're all fuzzy weirdos.

 

Blogger Geri said ... (Fri Mar 28, 10:48:00 AM EDT) : 

So how cool is that - finding a neat container at Goodwill with sock yarn in it?

 

Blogger Macoco said ... (Fri Mar 28, 10:52:00 AM EDT) : 

I hate when my food disappears from the work fridge! That is such a bummer.

I used to watch a cat in the building next to mine that would put it's paw into a glass over water - suck on his paw, and then reinsert into the glass. ;)

 

Blogger Sandi Purl said ... (Fri Mar 28, 10:57:00 AM EDT) : 

nice find at the g-will!
our cats are very similar - it's usually the female sitting on the male and the male not caring (or noticing). we call them names when they do that. name that i cannot post here. lol!

 

Blogger Kaye said ... (Fri Mar 28, 11:52:00 AM EDT) : 

Because that non virgin nylon is so dirty. Only tramps knit/crochet with that!

 

Blogger Carol said ... (Fri Mar 28, 06:38:00 PM EDT) : 

They tossed your food??! I would be sooooooo miffed!

and I lurvs your neato container. I have a thing for containers. Does that make me weird?

 

Blogger cpurl17 said ... (Sat Mar 29, 02:40:00 AM EDT) : 

Great find at the thrift store!!

We had a cat that only drank out of dixie cups.

 

Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said ... (Sat Mar 29, 10:55:00 AM EDT) : 

LOL virgin nylon! that's great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Sat Mar 29, 12:18:00 PM EDT) : 

You've been busy - I haven't stopped over for a while, and you've got cat craziness, stolen lunch, new yarn, and a gorgeous finished sweater!! I love it - great job!

Nora

 

Blogger Geri said ... (Sat Mar 29, 12:31:00 PM EDT) : 

Hmmmm. Thrift shops for used knitting books? What a great idea! I have also found some very good ones at Half Price Books in the U.S.

 

Blogger Mairwen said ... (Thu Apr 03, 01:39:00 PM EDT) : 

My old roommate had a cat that would drink out of your glass, then knock it over getting his head out. Couldn't figure out/be bothered to pick his head back up - just swept it sideways.

 

post a comment