ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

C minus 7 days...

7 days to finish the Christmas Cardi.
Yesterday I picked up 574 million stitches and knitted the contrast band:
completed cardi torso
The contrast is actually supposed to be knit in stockinette with smaller needles, but after looking at a few ravelry projects, it seemed that garter stitch was the way to go.

Mental note for when I next knit a cardigan with a button band:
cardi closeup
Figure out why I got the row of purl bumps at the base of the band and how to avoid it. Now I just need to find those cute little buttons I bought in Switzerland...

I realized that there is an error in this pattern - it instructed me to bind off the 30ish stitches for the neck opening on the back, and then when it was time to do the contrast edging, the pattern says "knit the 30 stitches which are on a stitch holder, then continue to pick up stitches" Argh! I could have picked up 30 less stitches!! Really really really have to get into the habit of reading the whole pattern through before starting! Granted, I don't think I would have picked that up (no pun intended).

Sunday I made much progress on the first (I'd walk a mile for a) Camel Glove:
IWAMFA 1.0 palm
BTW: Batty - this is camel coloured merino yarn, not camel yarn. Zara yarn to be precise - complete with knot about 10 metres into the projects (argh!)
IWAMFA 1.0 side
And then realized that the gloves are a bit baggy. But the good news is that they fit The Gambler perfectly, so I now have a template for when I knit gloves for him. I used the Cigar gloves pattern from knitty with some modifications such as having FULL FINGERS(!!!) and offsetting the thumb so that right and left gloves aren't interchangeable. So I have frogged them, and will start to reknit tonight at the Scarberia SnB.

Finally, in cat news, Somerset's left sided whiskers are finally growing back:
somerset's whiskers
They fell out this summer after she had a superficial infection on her face. So she's looking a little less unbalanced these days.

Labels: , ,

Comments on "C minus 7 days..."

 

Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said ... (Tue Dec 18, 10:02:00 AM EST) : 

wow! you've been really busy! I'm impressed will all the stitches you've picked up! I hate picking up stitches :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tue Dec 18, 10:51:00 AM EST) : 

Thanks for the heads up on the Devan errata, unfortunately too late for me, so it looks like I'll be picking up a million stitches too. If it's any consolation I did read the pattern right through and didn't twig to the error.

I'm not on Ravelry and haven't seen any finished Devans other than yours, which looks great, what's the problem with the stockingette bands?

I think you can avoid the purl bumps by changing the way the work is facing you when you pick up.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tue Dec 18, 11:33:00 AM EST) : 

Yikes! Only 7 days?!

I think you got that line of purl bumps by picking up the stitches from the inside of the work, rather than the outside.

 

Blogger Cyn said ... (Tue Dec 18, 11:54:00 AM EST) : 

Yar, the purl bumps are because of the side from which the stitches were picked up. If you flip it over the other side should have a smooth transition. Which of course doesn't help in this case since it's the wrong side and it will just taunt you. :P

Picking up stitches along a curved edge is DEATH. I've been doing that on my Back to School vest and I hatesss it. But I guess it's better than seaming...

 

Blogger Brigitte said ... (Tue Dec 18, 01:11:00 PM EST) : 

Ugh... Knitting on a deadline! I was SO close to ditching the last of my Christmas scarves last night. But I didn't...

Aww, wee Somerset, such a cute widdle face.

(Scarberia SnB? The one in Whitby?)

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (Tue Dec 18, 05:32:00 PM EST) : 

That sweater is looking good. Can't help you on the button band, I've only knit 2 in, they were both in the same color! Love your Walk a Mile for a Camel Glove so far! :)

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Tue Dec 18, 07:24:00 PM EST) : 

Oh my god, they grow back? I thought once they were gone they were gone!

I think your new years resolution should be to make some real camel fur gloves. Do camels really need to stay warm???

 

Blogger Macoco said ... (Thu Dec 20, 11:46:00 AM EST) : 

I like those camel gloves. I'm with bezzie, I had no idea that whiskers grew back!

 

post a comment