Oh Christmas Meme...
|Sandi recently tagged me for the "7 weird things about you" meme. I've already done that meme before, and I have seen a Christmas meme floating about Blogland, I decided to combine the 2 into:|
7 Weird Christmas Things About Me
1) I have always hated tinsel - even before I got cats. I prefer a Christmas tree with minimal decorations. My favorite tree was one I had in my first apartment - it was a real tree, about 4 feet tall, and I decorated it with red velvet bows, star garland, white mini lights and a quilted star that I sewed up using my Mom's machine. It sat in the bay window, underneath some red globe lights, and I loved to sit on my couch in the evening with the room lit only by the tree and the window lights.
2) We don't tend to decorate the house for Christmas, but we usually put up a tree (we have an artificial one). Last year we took it down in February.
3) My favourite Christmas dish is "Kutya"; it is the only traditional Ukrainian food that I have ever prepared.4) When I lived with/in the same city as my family, on Christmas Eve we would have a traditional Ukrainian meal, which was meatless. When I moved to Ontario, The Gambler and I would go to one of his buddy's parents' house for a traditional Swedish smorgasbord. When that buddy went to South America to teach, I felt like we had to start our own tradition. In the last few years, we have always cooked a roast or some steaks for dinner on the 24th. So our new Christmas Eve tradition is to eat beef.
5) I started knitting myself a Christmas stocking out of black acrylic Red Heart yarn a few weeks ago. It's for the staff room at work.
6) I am not at all religious, but my favourite Christmas music is either traditional Ukrainian carols sung by a choir, or Silent Night.
7) The Cat Carol makes me cry like a baby. So does the end of the cartoon version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
I'm not tagging anyone specifically for this one - consider it my Christmas present to you.
Speaking of Christmas presents, the Warmfuzzy just needs to have the fringe trimmed and have the ends woven in. The Christmas Cardi is nearing completion - those are the sleeves on the straight needle (back and front panels are curled up on the circ).I was able to knit a grand total of one row on each sleeve this weekend, because I spent most of my waking hours at the hospital from Friday through Sunday. Luckily, I don't think we'll be seeing the recipient until Boxing Day.