ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Stash update

For some reason, my body decided to wake up super early today. What better use of the extra time than taking and uploading stash photos to Ravelry?

This is a very belated photo of the Silk Mountain that I got from my supergreat SP 11 Secret Pal.
Silk Mountain
Small world - her upstream was Rochelle, who I know through GTA knitting activites - most recently I been semi-regularly attending a SNB that she belongs to.

Some weirdness that I just noticed this morning:
silk mountain tag
Check out the Japanese yarn content listing - what is the 13% it refers to? Vegetable fibre content?

This yarn is to be knit into gloves to match a winter coat I just picked up at a local consignment shop:
Zara - camel
Which brings me to a pet peeve - fingerless gloves. I hate them, or at least the concept of them. If it's cold enough to wear gloves/mitts, I want to cover my whole hand, thankyouverymuch. Think about it - what part of your hands has the largest surface area/size ratio? It's not your palms! And the argument that they can be worn under mitts doesn't convince me - because you are still leaving your fingers with less coverage!

Now I am generally a live-and-let-knit kind of person; if you want to spend all of your time and energy knitting dishcloths, or shapeless/matronly sweaters, or representations of internal organs, then you go ahead and do just that. However, the Ravelry pattern browser (which is my knitting pattern source of late) is not sophisticated enough to give one the option to exclude a particular type of garment - so when I search "gloves", I end up having to scroll though dozens of fingerless glove patterns. Although I was quite happy to stumble across these instructions for converting a sock pattern into mittens, because even though my hands are large, mittens are still much faster to knit up than socks, and I am more apt to get lots of wear out of funky mittens than funky socks, or to knit mittens up as a gift for someone else.

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Stash update"

 

Blogger Maggie said ... (Wed Dec 05, 08:49:00 AM EST) : 

That Noro content is hysterical. How come the english and Japanese percentages don't match up? The yarn is lovely, just the same.

I noticed a thread in Ravelry the other day about excluding criteria in pattern searches, but now I can't find it. Bizarre.

 

Blogger Glenna C said ... (Wed Dec 05, 11:01:00 AM EST) : 

I had that exact issue yesterday - I wanted to search for mittens and that was the category 'mittens and...', and I got about 80% gloves and fingerless mitts and 20% mitts. And almost none of the mitts were free patterns, so I just went back to the one pattern I actually own. Le sigh.

 

Blogger Nederlass said ... (Wed Dec 05, 01:40:00 PM EST) : 

Haha, isn't it hilarious that we automatically assume that every knitblogger-knitblogstalker is also on Ravelry? Where were we before the Ravel?

That Noro label is hilarious, indeed. 13% Caterpillar droppings? Hehe.
Lovely yarn tho!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wed Dec 05, 02:59:00 PM EST) : 

That is strange about the yarn label. Maybe math is different in Japanese. ;)

As for the fingerless gloves, I find them handy when I'm typing, and I made some for my mom who plays upright bass. The pattern searching on Ravelry can be annoying in some ways though. That said, if you're feeling adventurous you could just pick a fingerless pattern and just keep knitting at the fingers...

 

Blogger CathyCate said ... (Wed Dec 05, 05:49:00 PM EST) : 

You know, you can convert almost any fingerless mitt pattern into gloves.... just throw some fingers on those bad boys!
I probably knit more fingerless gloves/mitts than almost any other single kind of project. I know exactly where you're coming from, but here's why I do/who likes them --
*Indoor use (cold house) -- great for computer work, cold hands while reading etc.
*Music -- my husband loves these for playing guitar, they keep his hands warm and loose but fingers free
*TEENS -- my preteen SHOULD be wearing gloves/mittens, but at least she has something on her hands! Same with many guys in general.
*In and out and in and out of the house on a cool day.
*My dad won't wear anything else when he's taking outdoor photographs on a cool or windy day.

I'll restrain myself from making a pair for you, though! (though it's a great use for less than 50 g of sock yarn.....see the 'piano mitts' I made for my daughter's piano teacher with Raynauds, http://hitherandyarn.wordpress.com/2007/09/24/mini-mitts-and-piano-mitts-pattern/, which were made with about 30 g of elann Baby Cashmere.) Actually, some swear by 'pulsewarmers' for indoors -- just a wristband can apparently help your hands stay warmer (?reducing heat loss where the vessels course so close to the skin?)

Love Ella Freezes Over (the name, the yarn, the project) as well as your scarf model du jour.

Last, I was just posting (http://hitherandyarn.wordpress.com/2007/12/04/redemption/ ) about strange yarn labels myself, in that I had knit with Cyprus Mohair by Feza a few years ago, which (after buying) I noticed contained NO mohair (mostly acrylic, some wool). It also had nothing to do with Cyprus, being made in Turkey. Now they've reformulated the yarn: it's 85% acrylic, 15% mohair. I still think it's rather deceptive.

Gee, I'm full of links today. I'll probably get quarantined as spam....

 

Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said ... (Wed Dec 05, 07:42:00 PM EST) : 

I've found the pattern browser isn't the greatest, but since it's still Beta I'm hoping they'll be changes. I do love Ravelry!

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Wed Dec 05, 07:50:00 PM EST) : 

I like the fingerless mitts for driving, but I absolutely HATE how many patterns there are for them. They're more common than warts.

 

Blogger Peggy said ... (Thu Dec 06, 12:54:00 AM EST) : 

I did take Japanese class in highschool. I believe the 13% is kid mohair but why it doesn't match with English... I really don't understand. 3% japanese mohair doesn't qualify as english mohair?

 

Blogger LadyLungDoc said ... (Thu Dec 06, 03:15:00 PM EST) : 

Maybe some mohair gets lost in translation.

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Thu Dec 06, 06:11:00 PM EST) : 

Not sure about the 3% either. Maybe they only put in the extra 3% if the yarn is sold in Japan?

Who knows!

 

Blogger Debbie D said ... (Fri Dec 14, 07:08:00 AM EST) : 

well fingerless gloves are great down here in the South. I like to wear them when I am driving so my hands don't slide all over the steering wheel. But if I lived in the Great North with real winters, I'd never wear them for fear of my frozen fingers snapping off.

 

post a comment