ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Blue Weekend

I did some travelling this weekend - Janis and her husband had planned a trip to Niagara-On-The-Lake to take in some of the Shaw Festival, so it was an excellent opportunity for us to meet. We saw "The Circle" by Somerset Maugham, and Shaw's "St. Joan". I am always surprised at how many "quaint little villages" exist in Southern Ontario, and mildly saddened by the fact that they depend on tourism to survive - nothing like turning the place where you live into a cross between Disneyland and a zoo.
On the way down I stopped in Burlington and checked out Spun Fibre Arts - it's a great store; too bad it didn't open until after I left Burlington. Or maybe that's a good thing-they had a whole table of Malabrigo on sale. I managed to restrain myself and buy only 2 skeins, as well as this gorgeous blue Trekking yarn:

I picked up some Pop Corn as well:



I can't believe that she forgot the butter!

I only picked up one skein because I couldn't think of a specific pattern to use it for. The swatch was knitted up at a worsted gauge, but I think it would work better being knit up as a DK. It's incredibly soft and light. I'm going to knit it up into the gift pouch from Last Minute Knitted Gifts; it's the perfect colourway for my Secret Pal.

Since I knew that Janis wouldn't have a chance to stop at any yarn shops, I brought her a souvenir skein of Fleece Artist Sea Sock yarn. She gave me some Tiny Toes in exchange:

The colours don't come out well on this photo - they are closer to this Silk Garden colourway:

Which of course leads me to consider combining the 2 yarns together for some as yet undertermined project. I suspect that non-sock projects that utilize sock yarn will soon be all the rage - all that lovely sock yarn out there will need to be used eventually, and I know that I am developing the early signs of sock fatigue 7 pairs into the 12 I planned to knit for the year. I wonder what the next Big Knitting Thing will be - Lace? Colourwork? Mixing yarns? Felting? Felting Lace? The number of knitting books being published seems to be exponentially increasing. Forget SABLE, soon we will all have to-knit lists that we can never complete. It's kind of like advances in scientific knowledge - nobody can keep up with all of them.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Blue Weekend"

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Tue Jul 24, 09:31:00 PM EDT) : 

Would that be PABLE? Patterns Amassed Beyond Life Expectancy? Or perhaps FABLE..Fantasies Amassed yadda yadda.

I dig that Popcorn. I had an opportunity to fondle some Amaizing (I think that's what it was called) yarn in San Antonio. Good stuff.

 

Blogger Glenna C said ... (Tue Jul 24, 10:08:00 PM EDT) : 

Those are some nice combinations of blue! I didn't know about that Burlington store, I'll have to make a note if I'm ever in a position to go looking for it.

 

Blogger Macoco said ... (Wed Jul 25, 09:12:00 AM EDT) : 

That pop corn is really cool. I had to do a little web research to figure out what the heck it was. I had no idea that stuff was out there!

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (Wed Jul 25, 07:26:00 PM EDT) : 

Cool, I've never heard of popcorn! Nice yarns there!

 

Blogger Carol said ... (Thu Jul 26, 11:35:00 AM EDT) : 

pretty yarn. Pretty pretty...and mesmerizing apparently too!

 

post a comment