ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Without semantics, we are animals

Can I just point out how much it bugs me when someone refers to themselves or others as becoming a father/sister/uncle/grandparent, etc for any thing other than the first time? Hello! You became an aunt once, and you remain an aunt - it's not like you need to renew your status the way you do a library card.

Granted, if the original child/sibling/grandchild etc met with an untimely end prior to the arrival of the next one, then you might make an argument that you could use that phrase, but a) I'm not thinking that such is the case for most people who use such a statment, and b) I don't think you lose relative (relative as in relation, as opposed to as in Einstein) status if the relation is no longer alive.

One of these days, I am going to have everything packed for a trip 2 days before I leave, so that I don't end up staying up late wandering around the house while trying to decide if I should pack a raincoat. Such activity leads to esoteric rants, which risk boring one's audience.

Here - look at a cat picture. I'm going to bed.

Comments on "Without semantics, we are animals"

 

Blogger SuzannaBanana said ... (Mon Sep 11, 04:33:00 PM EDT) : 

Point made. I love it when someone other than me breaks into a rant about things like this. It makes me feel less alone in the world.

When you figure out how to avoid the late-night packing, you let me know. I've never learned that lesson.

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Tue Sep 12, 01:52:00 PM EDT) : 

Thanks for ranting! I also get upset when guys say they're pregnant. First off, it's a biological impossibility. Second, they're not the ones who are going to go through horrible pain, get stuck with an epidural or c-section, and get to breast feed the baby.

Or how about invitations that say "Mr. and Mrs. Guy's first name, Guy's last name? Huh? I'm now identity-less?

Anyhow, cute cat picture. I love cats. I also love not being the only one who dares to rant!

 

Blogger Charlotte Frost said ... (Wed Sep 13, 08:17:00 AM EDT) : 

Hi,
I don't have an email address for you, so I'm leaving a comment instead. Thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much for my purple yarn, which arrived in a package from Nick and Melinda for my birthday.

I've loved having your input on my knitting, 'tundra', and love even more that you input some yarn too! ;-)

Oh and did you hear that Nick got Melinda and I some Bernat cotton - huge balls of the stuff - and told me to get going on some more cloths!

My folks are over with N and M now and mum has just bought some yarn without a pattern, so if you bump into her, please feel free to point her in the direction of a good pattern outlet!

Thanks so much, you are just yummy!

C
x

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Thu Sep 14, 07:53:00 PM EDT) : 

Hm, I've never thought of that. Thank god I'm not guilty of ever saying that. I mean after the first time it's really not that exciting. Woo, another sibling/sibiling in law reproducing.

 

post a comment