ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Tools of the trade

Where do I store my tools?
Well, I keep my pens and sheets of paper in my pockets - if I don't have pockets, I wear my labcoat.

This hangs around my neck, or sometimes sits in a the right labcoat pocket.
Our hospital is well wired; lab results, transcription, and diagnostic imaging are all a key stroke away. I haven't bothered to get access from home, but it's not uncommon to do so.


But the tools I use most I have with me at all times:

For listening to stories and bodies
For looking at Xrays and faces
For examining and for comforting
Asking, instructing, explaining, ordering, dictating...this week's bout of laryngitis has really brought home how much of my job involves talking
And most days, I try not to leave home with this:

No silly, not a hairstyle that will stay out of my face. My brain.

Comments on "Tools of the trade"

 

Blogger Ev said ... (Sat Sep 02, 12:50:00 AM EDT) : 

I find it hard to believe that there may be days that the brain doesn't accompany you fully. You strike me as very professional and competent.

 

Blogger turtlegirl76 said ... (Sat Sep 02, 10:06:00 AM EDT) : 

Brilliant take on this weeks challenge.

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Sat Sep 02, 12:09:00 PM EDT) : 

Ha ha, I love the mouth and "brain" pic.

I got to thinking, I didn't mean to offend any good healthcare providers in my post (like you!). I should learn not to blog at 1:00 a.m. in a highly emotional state. I realized I probably came off as making a blanket generalization.

 

Blogger cpurl17 said ... (Sat Sep 02, 01:12:00 PM EDT) : 

Great post!! (and I love your hair color!) :)

 

Blogger OLPP said ... (Sat Sep 02, 08:30:00 PM EDT) : 

can you hear the drums, fernando?
thank you for the voo doo links! i wonder what i should put inside it: miniature medical text books, anchors, and the like? and shall i poke it with pins or tongue depressors? this is a delicate matter, indeed!

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (Tue Sep 05, 12:03:00 AM EDT) : 

I like your post! Nice to see the other side, let alone a Doctor that knits! :) (although I did teach my IR doc to knit!) Hope you are feeling better!

 

post a comment