ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

We have a Winner!



Two actually - CheekyRedHead got the material right (vinyl), and Jaquiebeancurd got the format right (LPs). DH has been trying various ways to melt old records (leaving them out in the sun, a blow torch, on the gas BBQ) and shape them. He's also tried painting them before melting, but that didn't work out well. He made a mobile first, and has tried other forms, but the "bowls" are the ones that he has made the most of. I like them; they look very organic. Sometimes the surface gets all bubbly, but on the older records, they often retain their grooves (presumably because they were made from vinyl that was higher quality)

Comments on "We have a Winner!"

 

Blogger Macoco said ... (Tue Aug 22, 10:45:00 AM EDT) : 

Those bowls are amazing! I love the golden hues in the first one.

 

Blogger turtlegirl76 said ... (Tue Aug 22, 01:03:00 PM EDT) : 

Barbara Streisand! I shoulda known! Argh. So much for the Village People. My next guess was gonna be the Oak Ridge Boys. Heh.

I've heard of melting them in the oven.

 

Blogger Karen said ... (Tue Aug 22, 04:55:00 PM EDT) : 

Love the bowls! That's way more creative than I think I could ever be. :)

 

Blogger jpknits said ... (Wed Aug 23, 12:45:00 PM EDT) : 

What great shapes. And what a wild idea!

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (Thu Aug 24, 12:14:00 PM EDT) : 

How cool are those!! Tell him nice work! Very original! :)

 

Blogger janna said ... (Fri Aug 25, 06:58:00 PM EDT) : 

Really old records, like from the 50s, were really thick. I'd guess it was just a technology thing - they couldn't make them thinner. Those felt different, too. It would be interesting to see the difference in how they melt.

 

post a comment