ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Friday, March 19, 2010

That awkward stage...

The Gambler and I are heading to Kingston (Ontario, not Jamaica) this weekend; he's fencing in a tournament. We are driving there, so I am faced with the question of what knitting project to take.

Isn't it frustrating when you know you will have a few solid hours of knitting time, but your WIPs are in an awkward stage where they are either near a tricky part that you wouldn't want to work on in the car, or so near completion that you'll have to bring a second WIP anyways?

Granted, I do have one travel appropriate project on the needles:

Margivore

This is the Herbivore Shawl by westknits. I initially started it as a present for The Gambler's mother. Recent events have led me to put in on hold, because to be honest, I have limited time for knitting, so if I am knitting for someone else, they had better be deserving of it! It's the subject of a whole other blog post, but suffice it to say, she definitely does not fall under that category, even if you factor in the sympathy part of the equation that led me to start the project.

Case in point - when I showed one of the nurses at work the first Baby Cardigan, she offered to pay me to knit one as a gift for one of her friends who is expecting a grandchild soon. I told her that as my life is right now, time is far more precious than money. I couldn't think of a $ amount that would make it worth my while to knit something I had no interest in knitting. Given the current economic climate, I am incredibly lucky to be in this position, and I am well aware of it.

Labels:

Comments on "That awkward stage..."

 

Blogger Mary deB said ... (Fri Mar 19, 09:16:00 AM EDT) : 

I hate that "I'll pay you to knit" business. Yeah, what will you pay... Any decent hourly wage would put a baby sweater well over $100... Just knit for people you like!

 

Blogger Maggie said ... (Sat Mar 20, 01:15:00 PM EDT) : 

Most of my projects are at that awkward stage...mostly because I don't remember where I was in the process when I put them down. I've been knitting that stupid Must Have Cardigan (that I love) for over 5 years. I just realized that the last time I worked on it, I didn't live in my house yet! Gah.

My sister is always getting nagged to knit stuff for the women she works with. They don't get it.

Also, that sweater is vavoom on you! And your hair is so long! I haven't seen you in ages.

 

Blogger knithound brooklyn said ... (Sat Mar 20, 10:43:00 PM EDT) : 

I can't stand when people tell me I should sell what I knit. Yea, then it would be WORK.

 

Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said ... (Sun Mar 21, 10:49:00 AM EDT) : 

The yarn in the shawl you started is beautiful. I wonder what kind it is.

I only knit for fun. Furthermore, if I needed the money, I wouldn't be able to live off what the hourly average would be.

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Sun Mar 28, 07:07:00 AM EDT) : 

I know the feeling (though probably not to the same extent) -- work, commute, class, no time for knitting. Either too tired or too mentally exhausted for anything complicated.

I hope you found something to knit along the way. It's what I like about socks: no swatching, not big, can be as simple or complex as you want.

 

post a comment