ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Holiday Knits

The Chevalier mittens knit up quite quickly - I really should knit more with bulky yarn.

Cuff down
The cuff is some Silk Mountain I recieved in a Secret Pal exchange a few years ago, and the body of the mitten is some Lamb's Pride Bulky that I picked up on clearance at some Toronto yarn shop (possibly the predecessor to the ill-fated In The Loop; I've forgotten what the original shop was named)

Cuff up
The cuff is reverse stockinette; I actually like the way it looks when the cuff is folded up.

I've got about half a skein of the Lamb's Pride left, as well as 1.5 skeins of the Silk Mountain (FYI - the yardage estimates for the book Knitting New Mittens and Gloves are VERY GENEROUS!!!). I was planning on knitting up a matching hat with the leftovers today (my last full day off before I head back to work tomorrow evening), but when the Gambler and I braved the "cold" (-15 and they call a cold weather alert in Toronto; I talk to my Mom in Winnipeg and she tells me how it was very cold for a few days, but now it's not too bad, because the temperature has gone up to -15) to go see a movie a few days ago, he bemoaned the fact that he doesn't have a scarf that he can wrap around his neck 3 times.

Gambler scarf
This is the first 2 feet of what is going to end up being about 8 feet of 1x1 rib. It's being knit out of some Mille Colori. Because it's 55 stitches across, the striping isn't as well defined as when I knit a narrower scarf using the same yarn. With the length of these colour repeats, it's probably preferable to be 41 or less stitches across to avoid colour changes within a stripe.

And I am proud to say that both of these projects are from stash yarns - one of my goals for next year is to actually get around to knitting up some of those skeins that are stowed in various nooks and crannies around the house.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Holiday Knits"

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Fri Jan 01, 07:23:00 AM EST) : 

Love those mitts! Bulky yarn is amazing, isn't it? Projects just zip by.

I think the scarf looks just fine, color changes within stripes and all -- I wouldn't even have noticed if you hadn't said anything. And it's cat-approved, which is important.

Happy New Year to you and yours, and good luck knitting up your ambient stash!

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Wed Jan 06, 06:17:00 AM EST) : 

Oh man, those look warm!

 

Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said ... (Thu Jan 07, 05:53:00 PM EST) : 

I like that scarf.

 

post a comment