ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Decisions Decisions

A few days ago I went to pick a few things up at the grocery store. Milk was of course at the top of the list (even though I am a big fan of variety in meals, I can eat the same cereal for breakfast every single day - I'm never sure what to make of this.) I am sure that I stood in front of the milk setion of the dairy aisle for a good 5 minutes, trying to decide what to get. Ultrafiltered. Calcium enriched. Omega 3 enriched. Skim Plus (with extra milk solids so that it tastes like 1% milk).

I was paralyzed with indecision. Completely immobilized. Could not for the life of me make a decision as to what type of milk to buy.*

So I bought the soy milk that was on sale because it was cheaper than all of them.


This was the first iteration of the Rorschach Socks: unfortunately, the "diamonds" don't really show up well against the colour changes. The yarn does stripe nicely, however. I can also already tell that the sock will be a bit bigger than I prefer.

So I ripped back to the point where the toe was 64 stitches, and started knitting Monos Locos/Toe Up Monkeys. But I didn't like the way that the yarn was spiralling.

Now I was using 2.75 mm needles, so I thought that perhaps I should go down a needle size - that way I could do a 72 stitch sock and not have the fit/spiralling issues.

I managed to decide** between a 2mm and 2.25 mm addi lace needle and started knitting Unholey Monkeys with a 2mm needle. The stitch pattern doesn't get totally lost (you can see a bit of it above my foot stigmata there)...

But the stripes are definitely spiralling. Sigh. Maybe I should have gone with the 2.25 mm circs. Or maybe 2.5 mm is the way to go...

*A few years ago, I read a book called The Paradox of Choice; here's a link to a lecture by the author.

** Of course, the milk crisis may have been triggered by the fact that I am a Libra - one of the nurses at work (who has a birthday a few days before me) and I have a running joke about how we can agonize over meaningless decisions - she had the hardest time choosing which background to go with for her son's school pictures, and many a time I have to ask The Gambler to pick which pair of shoes/top/etc I should wear for a particular occasion.

Labels:

Comments on "Decisions Decisions"

 

Blogger Trillian42 said ... (Tue Aug 25, 10:00:00 PM EDT) : 

Oh, I totally understand the indecisive Libra thing. I'm exactly the same way - I blame it on being able to see both sides of EVERYTHING. The worst thing? I married another Libra. It's hell trying to decide where we're going to go for dinner...

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Wed Aug 26, 07:22:00 AM EDT) : 

Instead of ripping back, you should have kept knitting but in each different pattern (adding and subtracting stitches of course). You probably could have marketed them a Libra socks.

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Thu Aug 27, 08:42:00 PM EDT) : 

Put away the milk and the socks and run around the block. You'll find you've made up your mind when you get back inside.

Hope it works for you, works for me every time.

 

Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said ... (Thu Aug 27, 09:27:00 PM EDT) : 

I had some spiraling yarn that spiraled no matter what stitch pattern, number of stitches or size of needles that I used. I ended up swapping it. I have trouble with decisions, but I'm a Sagittarius, I'm afraid of missing something if I choose the wrong thing.

 

post a comment