ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Monday, March 31, 2008

Fateful Error!

I made a fair amount of progress on The Deviation From Standard Handwarmers yesterday:

thumbshortfall top

This is the point where the thumb gusset would be complete - do you see the problem?

thumbshortfallbottom

How about now?

thumb shortfall

Yes, it turns out that if I had knit the handwarmers according to the pattern, the thumb gusset would have been horridly short. Partly because my row gauge is off, and partly because I have freakishly large larger than average hands. So my error in starting with the ribbing was quite fortuitous. Forget knitting the second handwarmer top down!

There's also the issue of the pattern not standing out as well as it should - this is probably a combination of a marled "background" colour (one ply of which matches the turquoise) and my very rudimentary two handed knitting skills. There's alot of variability in the tension the contrast colours. These are the stitches that I knit with my left hand - no big surprise. It might also be related to which hand's yarn ended up being "dominant" - it looks like it was the contrast colours rather than the background yarn. So when I knit handwarmer #2, I'm going to switch the background yarn to my left hand and see what difference it makes to the pattern.

But I don't care that much if the pattern is indistinct - if worst comes to worst, I can just look at that lovely corrugated ribbing...

Labels:

Comments on "Fateful Error!"

 

Blogger Aunt Kathy said ... (Tue Apr 01, 08:56:00 AM EDT) : 

Now there's a mistake that turned out to be a perfect solution. I really like how these colors are knitting up

 

Blogger Becky said ... (Tue Apr 01, 12:53:00 PM EDT) : 

The ribbed cuff looks really nice. My ribbing always looks loose and funky, even when I drop a needle size or two.

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Tue Apr 01, 07:13:00 PM EDT) : 

So the second one will truly be a deviation from the standard.

I couldn't tell the problem til you pointed it out though.

 

post a comment