ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Friday, February 01, 2008

To wit...

Greedo and Somerset keep hoping that Synchronized Napping will be an Official Olympic Sport this year. But then they'd probably run into problems with the Russian Blue judge...


Your Score: the Wit


(66% dark, 34% spontaneous, 15% vulgar)



your humor style:
CLEAN COMPLEX DARK


You like things edgy, subtle, and smart. I guess that means you're probably an intellectual, but don't take that to mean pretentious. You realize 'dumb' can be witty--after all isn't that the Simpsons' philosophy?--but rudeness for its own sake, 'gross-out' humor and most other things found in a fraternity leave you totally flat.

I guess you just have a more cerebral approach than most. You have the perfect mindset for a joke writer or staff writer.

Your sense of humor takes the most thought to appreciate, but it's also the best, in my opinion.

You probably loved the Office. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check it out here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/.

PEOPLE LIKE YOU: Jon Stewart - Woody Allen - Ricky Gervais




The'>http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=17565214125862764376">The 3-Variable Funny Test!
- it rules -

Yep, nothing pads the blog like a blogthing quiz.

Speaking of padding - I had a few hours kill this afternoon while the business part of my weekend conference occurred and before the open bar evening festivities began. So I first headed to Tallcrest Shoes to see what they had on sale, and then hit Jacob Lingerie - who had huge signs advertising 60% off. I thought that this would be an excellent opportunity to check out their bra selection. Now, (as you might have guessed from the Tallcrest reference above) I have some challenges in finding clothing to fit because I am 5 foot 11. The story of my life is that clothing/accessories are too short/too small. It's not that I am huge, but - well, let's just say that most of me is proportional to my height - my hands are big, my inseam is big, my feet are big, my back-waist length is big. However, there are a few parts of my body that are (relatively) small - I have small ears, small teeth, and I was once told by my family doctor that I had a small uterus (I wasn't sure what I was supposed to say in response to that -"Um, thanks?"). But aside from being unable to tuck my hair behind my ears, and having excess space between my teeth, these aberrations do not cause me any consternation. However, I am also small chested, so my bra size is 36A (and as a matter of fact, I don't sleep on my stomach, and have absolutely no interest in doing so, and really don't see why it would be a great thing to do). Now, current (often unattainable) standards of female beauty aside, this is a royal PITA, because many bra companies don't see fit to make bras in 36A.

So when the Customer Service Associate (or whatver title they have at that store) came up to me and asked if she could help me, I asked her "Do your bras come in 36A?". Her answer was "Well, we don't get many of them in. For every 5 34B bras we get, we get one 36A bra. Because the cup size on the 34B is the same as a 36A, the only difference is in the rib cage measurement". Which on one hand was refreshingly candid from a retail salesperson, but on the other hand, drove me slightly insane, because I just so happen to have a rib cage which (when taking into account the current coat of fat/muscle covering it) DOES NOT COMFORTABLY FIT INTO A SIZE 34 BRA. Argh! Is it just me, or does that particular rationale seem really quite bizarre when you think about it - "Well, this garment has 2 major dimensions, but we choose to just ignore the second dimension when it comes to meeting our customers' needs".

Good thing I stocked up on bras at the outlet mall this summer.

Labels: , ,

Comments on "To wit..."

 

Blogger Jo said ... (Sat Feb 02, 08:45:00 AM EST) : 

Why would beeing smaller-chested be useful for sleeping on your stomach? My cup size starts with the letter G... as in god-awful, but I sleep on my stomach all the time.

You and are a polar opposites in many ways :)

 

Blogger Bridget said ... (Sat Feb 02, 08:49:00 AM EST) : 

I think my cats could give Somerset and Greedo a run for their money!

I.Hate.Bra.Shopping.

 

Blogger CathyCate said ... (Sat Feb 02, 12:10:00 PM EST) : 

I'm a 36A too; I'm not your height, but used to be a 34A; after having kids, my feet spread and my ribs spread, some connective tissue thing, I think. I disagree with the bra lady; SOME bra lines may have 34B cups equivalent to 36As, but in general the cups are shaped differently and spaced differently on the bra band. Otherwise I could just get a 34B and one of those bra band extenders.
ANYhoo -- my very favorite bra is one I found last year when I was at a conference in Chicago, and found that inexplicably I had not packed enough underwear: I walked across Michigan Ave to (I think) Bloomingdales (not a store I have available to me at home), and in the process of buying underwear and checking out sale racks/browsing, the saleswoman recommended a bra to me that was wonderful and came in multiple styles. It's called Natori, not (naturally) inexpensive, but fits my shape (which is NOT pointy the way some A cups are!) and my ribcage so nicely and very flattering and well-made. I got one in tan and a different style in black. I need more. I can't wear those two every day. So see if you can find that brand somewhere to try it on sometime (everyone being different).
(Blogging bonus, eh? 36A bra recommendations??)
PS: The service at this store was incredible; the bra was going to go on sale 40% off on Monday but I wasn't going to be there anymore, but the bras are pretty pricey; the saleswoman did some machination where she held the bras for me, charged my card Monday at the sale price and had them mailed them to me. She didn't *have* to sugggest or do that. Wow. Yes, it was the the Michigan Ave Bloomies.

 

Blogger Maggie said ... (Sat Feb 02, 12:17:00 PM EST) : 

I'm at the complete opposite end of the spectrum bra-wise, and it's just as hard finding something in the right size on this end, too. Unless, of course, I want to go to a specialty shop and pay through the nose. Which I do not.

I took the humour test. It's wrong! It says:

(42% dark, 57% spontaneous, 36% vulgar)
CLEAN | SPONTANEOUS | LIGHT

"Your style's goofy, innocent and feel-good. Perfect for parties and for the dads who chaperone them. You can actually get away with corny jokes, and I bet your sense of humor is a guilty pleasure for your friends. People of your type are often the most approachable and popular people in their circle. Your simple & silly good-naturedness is immediately recognizable, and it sets you apart in this sarcastic world."

This is so not me. I'm pretty nasty!

 

Blogger Aunt Kathy said ... (Sat Feb 02, 11:27:00 PM EST) : 

Hmm wonder if that quiz changes with the mood you're in when you take it???

I refuse to talk bras... LOL. I can never find one to fit right. I'd love some Dolly Parton hand me downs.

 

Blogger Lynn said ... (Sat Feb 02, 11:37:00 PM EST) : 

Try finding a 46B. I used to be a 36A, back in the day, but five nursing babies and we will not say how many extra pounds have changed that.

My secret to dealing with unavailable bra sizes is to buy the smaller one and add an extender in the back. Trade-off is that sometimes that makes it easier for my straps to slide off my shoulders.

 

Blogger Manon C. said ... (Sun Feb 03, 09:54:00 AM EST) : 

Before I had children, I was a 34A. While in France, I was trying to find bras that fit me, and the saleswoman was totally disgusted that I was wasting her time. She declared loudly for everyone around me to hear: "Most bra manufacturers don't even make bras in your size! Why do you even bother to wear one?" I finally found ONE brand that sold my size (Huit, I am not sure it still exists), but I remember the sting of that remark to this day...

 

Blogger Beadknitter said ... (Sun Feb 03, 02:25:00 PM EST) : 

I'd give them the gold! That's an adorable picture.

Bra shopping. The bane of my existence. sigh......

 

Blogger cpurl17 said ... (Mon Feb 04, 01:48:00 PM EST) : 

bra shopping sucks.

My cats have been practicing for sychronized floor writhing and overhead stair peeking.

 

Blogger Brigitte said ... (Wed Feb 06, 06:46:00 AM EST) : 

Well, being 5'2", I can also appreciate how difficult it can be to find decent clothes! I have a small frame, so finding Petites is not always easy.

Ugh - undie shopping... I guess you didn't end up buying anything!?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Thu Feb 07, 12:07:00 PM EST) : 

I coulda told you your humor style, Lisa, but not your bra size...

Never mind the size, getting one that fits and is comfy is a royal pain.

 

post a comment