ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Friday, November 23, 2007

Urban snowstorm

Toronto has a somewhat unique status in Canada - in a way, it keeps the country united, because it is the city that the rest of the country loves to mock. I don't know if other countries have the equivalent.

It's hard to describe exactly why this occurs, it's definitely a combination of factors. At least a part of it is that in the eyes of many, Toronto is very narcissistic. One major example of this occured back in the 1990's, when a snowstorm hit Toronto. There was a large amount of snow that fell over several days, and it caused major disruptions in the city; predominantly traffic related. The (then) mayor of the city stated that he was going to call in the army to help out, and the rest of Canada laughed at the idea, because Toronto couldn't handle a little snow.

This Wednesday it rained, and the weather report indicated that overnight the rain would turn into snow. Six of the 12 nurses scheduled to work the overnight shift called in sick. The next morning, I heard how bus service was cancelled in several areas, and a handful of schools were closing. As I drove home, I heard about how several Grey Cup related events were cancelled because of "Southern Ontario's first snowstorm of the winter". (Background - the Grey Cup is the Canadian Football League championship game. Always a big deal in the rest of the country, traditionally ignored by many in Toronto, because people in Toronto are more interested in the NFL. When the Grey Cup is held in other cities, tickets go like hotcakes, but the Toronto Grey Cups often have poor attendance. This year, the 2 teams playing are from Winnipeg and Saskatchewan. Both of these teams are based in the prairies, which have much longer and harsher winters than Southern Ontario.)

So - exactly how much snow got dumped on the city?



It looks like we will need to dig out our broom to clean off our sidewalk.













Gotta love Toronto...

Labels:

Comments on "Urban snowstorm"

 

Blogger Michelle said ... (Fri Nov 23, 08:56:00 AM EST) : 

LOL, I remember when they called in the Army, that was a joke. I lived in toronto at the time and was simply required to change from my running shoes to my boots.

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Fri Nov 23, 10:13:00 AM EST) : 

As an Alaskan, to me every "snowstorm" in the lower US 48 seems like what you just described. Except no Army--they just cancel things on the forecast of snow.

 

Blogger Sandi Purl said ... (Fri Nov 23, 01:25:00 PM EST) : 

lol! so true. I, on the other hand, hailing from the southern hemisphere, called in sick today - it's sunny!

 

Blogger Ariel said ... (Fri Nov 23, 02:27:00 PM EST) : 

In the US, we are blessed with an entire region of the country to mock - we call it "the South." Hope your broom was up to the sidewalk challenge!

 

Blogger Monica said ... (Fri Nov 23, 07:29:00 PM EST) : 

wow... that is quite a snowstorm!

 

Blogger Jo said ... (Sat Nov 24, 08:34:00 AM EST) : 

I remember in Abbotsford schools were closed once because there was about 2" of snow on the ground. Why were the schools closed? Because the buses weren't equipped for snow driving...

 

Blogger Stacie said ... (Sat Nov 24, 09:36:00 AM EST) : 

this makes me laugh because I can't imagine living somewhere even more north than I already am (near Chicago). I love the thought that in every climate, there are the wimps and the tough guys! I am a wimp for sure!

 

Blogger Martina said ... (Sat Nov 24, 12:28:00 PM EST) : 

Torontonians are snow-phobic don't ya know!

 

Blogger Vaedri said ... (Sat Nov 24, 04:57:00 PM EST) : 

They sent us home early from work. It was great. :) But, it did take me a lot longer to get in that morning, so I felt I'd earned it. Kinda.

 

Blogger Glenna C said ... (Sat Nov 24, 07:21:00 PM EST) : 

As soon as I heard about all the changes to the GC parties I immediately thought oh GREAT, now the prairies will think Toronto is even more wussy. Oh, silly Toronto.

 

post a comment