ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Gambler 6, Mice 3

Latest chapter in the ongoing Rental House Mouse Saga:
The Gambler was trying to figure out how the mice actually get up onto the kitchen counter, and decided that they must be climbing up a cord that comes up from behind the fridge. So on Wednesday he put the trap beside the fridge. Yesterday morning the cheese appeared to have been nibbled a bit, but the trap remained armed. The Gambler was heading back to BC yesterday, and I suggested that he might want to put the traps away while he was gone, but we were in a rush to leave early enough to beat much of the traffic, and I kind of forgot about it when I stopped at home to take a nap before going into work.
So, this morning, I walk into the kitchen (eyeglasses on), and as the counter beside the fridge comes into view, I see it. The lower half of a mouse corpse. So I immediately run out of the kitchen - just in case the mouse had turned into a zombie, I suppose. I then managed to prep and eat breakfast without looking at that part of the kitchen counter, and left for work. I sent an email to The Gambler, asking if the house might have a bad smell if I left the mouse there until he came back on May 10th. He suggested that I buy a cheap dishtowel from the dollar store, throw the towel over the mouse and trap, and toss the whole bundle into the garbage. I'm wondering how much an exterminator would charge me to come take the thing away.(BTW - I have no idea why I am so squeamish about this. I can handle the gross parts of my job, but the idea of even SEEING the dead mouse makes me go euhgh! Heck, I wouldn't be this afraid of a live mouse.)
I'm thinking that I will use a newspaper to slide it off the counter into the garbage - good thing I hadn't gotten around to putting up the "No Flyers Please" sign yet.
Anyways, I promised you pictures:

Socks as of this afternoon.Good view of the colour.Good view of the texture.


Note how the heel is the only part of the sock where the colours aren't pooling. Well, I don't see myself ever knitting socks from alternating skeins, so it's just going to be a matter of trial and error with future "handpainted" yarns. At least it's not as ugly striping as my first Jaywalker attempt.

I managed to get a fair amount done on the second heel yesterday evening at the DKC meeting. The topic was supposed to be "mitten styles from around the world", but the original presenter had to cancel, so instead there was a talk on "Interpretive Knitting" given by "Doctor Knit" (as opposed to The Knitting Doctor). You know how interpretive dance is an aquired taste? Uh, yeah. Maybe it would have been more interesting if there had been slides ( there were having computer issues as well), but I'm thinking...not.

At least I picked up some nice yarn:


Here's some Silky Wool that I bought a few weeks ago because it was a weekend, I was on call, The Gambler hadn't yet arrived in town, and it made me feel better. I want to knit a Dragonfly a la DefinitelyMaybeKnits. Since I don't like mohair, the Fiddlesticks Zephyr Wool-Silk will be the carryalong yarn that I'll use on the top half. I am trying to track down some Elsebeth Lavold Silky Tweed to use as the 2nd yarn for the body. I have some beads in various shades of red that should work for the project. Because you know that I don't have nearly enough projects waiting to be knit!!I also managed to pick up 5 skeins of Patons Kroy for $10 at the meeting (which was a good deal, but not nearly as good a deal as the off-label Manos that Jacquie picked up recently.) This photo came our much more blue than the yarn truly is; I'd say it's more crocus coloured. I might use it to knit myself a pair of knee high socks. One day.

Oh, and just to remind Bezzie and any stalkers out there what The Gambler (and I) look like:

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Gambler 6, Mice 3"

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (Thu Apr 19, 11:54:00 PM EDT) : 

Oh icky on the mousey...I am the same way, no matter what gross things we see at work, rodents just creep me out. But, be strong! You can do it! The socks are looking cool! Great looking couple there! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Fri Apr 20, 07:46:00 AM EDT) : 

Using a newspaper sounds like a good idea. I love your socks.

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Fri Apr 20, 07:51:00 AM EDT) : 

I like to turn a plastic shopping bag inside out and use it as a "glove" and pick up the side of the snap trap that doesn't have the dead mouse on it and then turn it inside out. Kind of like the way people pick up their dogs' poop when they walk them.
Love the socks! They do look like raindrops.
And thanks for the pic ha ha!

 

Blogger Macoco said ... (Fri Apr 20, 08:48:00 AM EDT) : 

Thanks for posting a picture - I like knowing what people look like :)

WEBS has silky tweed - I picked some up for around 4.50 a skein? I'm using it for a project right now and am in love.

I'm glad there's other people out there that fear the zombie mice.

 

Blogger Jo said ... (Fri Apr 20, 09:07:00 AM EDT) : 

I like the sark red colour of the Silk Wool. Out of curiousity, why do you call him the Gambler?

 

Blogger mjm knitting said ... (Fri Apr 20, 09:56:00 AM EDT) : 

I think I would have gone out for breakfast and all other meals until the mouse could have been handled by someone other than me. That's how much they creep me out. What about using a broom to push it into the rubbish bin? Although I am sure it's been dealt with already....

Your socks are looking great.
Looks like a very happy couple in that photo!

 

Blogger Carol said ... (Fri Apr 20, 04:22:00 PM EDT) : 

Yikes! I was afraid for a second there that when you said "I promised you pics" that I was going to see dead mouse! Ick I should have known better. thank goodness...

 

Blogger Lorena said ... (Sun Apr 22, 11:03:00 AM EDT) : 

Maybe I'm a sicko, but I've read this twice and I'm still giggling at the image of zombie mice. I am sorry about your mice troubles, but... hee. I can just see them shambling across the floor, yelling for "cheeeeeeese".

 

Blogger Martina said ... (Sun Apr 22, 05:32:00 PM EDT) : 

Are You going to the knitters frolic in To.? I will join you if you are. (or is that when you are on the high seas?)

 

Blogger gretchen said ... (Mon Apr 23, 05:05:00 PM EDT) : 

have you tried a broom and dustpan for mouse disposal? you can get one of those dustpans with the 4 foot handle and then you don't have to get close to the mouse.

 

Blogger Lorette said ... (Wed Apr 25, 06:43:00 PM EDT) : 

"Zombie mice" is still making me laugh!
Is it wrong that I think it's just hilarious that you are freaked out by a dead mouse? You'd have a rude awakening at my house, where nearly every morning all spring and summer long, that damned cat brings in a bird of some variety and lets it go. Some dead, some not. I actually prefer the dead ones, at least I don't have to catch them first before I dispatch them.

 

post a comment