ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, February 03, 2007

A day late...

...or 364 days early.
As seen on several blogs yesterday

NOTES TOWARD A LEXICON OF THE LANGUAGE OF THE BEAR

I

In its own language its name means:

I walk slowly on hillsides
and sleep with a bellyful
of pleasing berries,
pink flesh, and brains.

I dream of love vulgar
and gorgeous beside the rush
of rivers born of glacial ice
and I shun the times
of no plenty, when all is dark
and white and the blossoms
do not love the red fruit into being.


This is the simplest word in its language
and the first one it learns.

II

The bear does not have a word for regret
but the nearest equivalent would be:

I am not proud
to have gone to the end of the world
and eaten garbage there
in dumps among the naked and the thin
when I could not last the winter.


This word is often thought but seldom
spoken among the strong,

III

If you want to say I love you
in the bearish tongue say:

You need not fear me

and translated literally
the word for solitude is:

This side of the mountain is mine





Paul Vermeersch

Labels:

Comments on "A day late..."

 

Blogger Jo said ... (Sun Feb 04, 12:11:00 AM EST) : 

I like the closing line ;)

 

Blogger Blu Roux said ... (Sun Feb 04, 12:32:00 AM EST) : 

Love the pics in the last couple of posts! The poetry is also wonderful. I'll have to look into his other work.
-Liz

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Sun Feb 04, 01:05:00 PM EST) : 

Love the pictures. They really add to the mood of the poetry.

 

post a comment