ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Karma

I stopped by a thrift shop that is run by a local "charity" (who manifest their godliness by picketing our hospital every Tuesday. Or maybe it's Thursday - it's so hard to keep track). They were having a 50% off sale, and I picked up a bunch of yarn.

This is what I got:
Another bag for Somerset to play with! (Sometimes I envy her for her little pea sized brain that is so easily amused. But then she'll start licking a zipper, and I decide I might be better off)
Here's the yarn score:
All this for $8. Now, the woman who rung up the sale was dividing the prices in half as she went through each of them, then adding them together, and stumbling along with the math. I probably should have paid $12 to $14, and if it was any other charity, I would have corrected her. But I decided that there was some beauty to the concept of me screwing a charity that I would never support out of $6.
Shaker yarn. Strong as hickory, apparently. I can't say that I consider hickory as being the paragon of sturdiness, but to be honest, the first thing that usually comes to mind when I hear the word hickory is "Hickory Farms" cheese trays.
Some shiny rayon/cotton yarn for when I get around to trying some type of a lace project. It's a lovely pristine white. I am toying with the idea of dyeing it, because it would become 2 tone, I imagine.
"rug yarn" which is PERMANENTLY mothproof. Approved by the USDA, no less.
My plan is to use the rug yarn and shaker yarn for felting (as long as the hickory-like strength and infinite moth immunity allow the felting process to proceed). If they don't felt, then I will use the yarn to make a yoga mat bag. Because tomorrow after work, I am going to go to Lululemon and buy me a yoga mat, because a) I have lived in BC for a year now, and I might get deported unless I start playing the part by owning Lululemon merchandise, and b) today was the first day I did this: 7 AM Yoga in the park, compliments of the YMCA.

A few blocks down was a used bookstore.
These 2 books were each marked $9.95. The woman at the counter said "Why don't we just say $18 for the 2?" Umm, OK.

Now, wherin lies the karma? What cosmic force allowed me to get these bargains?
Well, the other day, I stopped to pick up the mail and there were 2 packages for me from Blue Moon Fibre Arts. I opened the first one, and found my "Socks that Rock" Club yarn for July, as well as the pattern. I thought that maybe the second package contained some type of advertising material. When I opened it, there was my "Socks that Rock" Club yarn for July, as well as the pattern. They sent me an extra. I initially gloated over my good luck, but then decided that I really should notify them of the error, and sent them an email, figuring that they would want me to send it back. They thanked me for my honesty, said that they had adjusted their spreadsheet, and suggested I send the yarn to someone who needed a little treat. Soo, the way I see it, if I hadn't notified them, they might have continued to send me duplicate yarns until the end of the exchange. Because I was an idiothonest, my reward was the books and yarn for less than the cost of the STR yarn club pack.

So, I am now trying to decide what to do with the extra STR package. I might look for a charity to donate it to for a raffle (I'm waiting to hear back from Blue Moon if I can include their pattern if this is the yarn's fate). Otherwise, I will send it to someone like the Yarn Harlot to use as a prize for a charitable act.

Comments on "Karma"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Thu Jul 27, 08:01:00 AM EDT) : 

Yay yarn score! Looks like you got a great haul.

Why not use the STR to host a contest?

 

Blogger Libi said ... (Thu Jul 27, 08:44:00 AM EDT) : 

I agree, do a contest. I've never done a bloggie contest. :) Or, hey, just cut to the chase and send it to me. No? Oh, well, can't blame me for trying. :)

 

Blogger LadyLungDoc said ... (Thu Jul 27, 10:56:00 AM EDT) : 

I did think of a contest, but I haven't any original ideas. Actually, as I type, I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of an internet scavenger contest - I'm visualizing having to find web pages for obscure topics "the blog site of a bulgarian spinner who is a vegetarian", "a free pattern for a felted yoga bag", home page for a combination laundrette and bar in Australia, etc.

I just joined the "Ponderosa Weavers, Spinners and Fibre Artists Guild" - not to spin roving but to spin together some of the mulitstranded yarn I have picked up. I might see if they have any kind of a fundraising raffle.

 

Blogger Lorette said ... (Thu Jul 27, 12:26:00 PM EDT) : 

Good karma, indeed. You should definitely get points for telling them about the extra yarn.
And what's up with the "local charity" picketing your hospital weekly? Never mind, I probably really don't want to know, it would just likely tick me off.

 

Blogger Elaine said ... (Thu Jul 27, 01:11:00 PM EDT) : 

Fabulous!! What a find! And Kudos to you for correcting their mistake of sending duplicates. I myself have been known to do that......and sometimes not....depending how I feel that day ;)

 

Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said ... (Thu Jul 27, 07:09:00 PM EDT) : 

I'm proud of you!

You'll never regret doing the right thing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Fri Jul 28, 12:48:00 AM EDT) : 

Well, yes, this is certainly some sort of karma! What amazing bargains you got, I almost got a bit jealous here :) Such goodies, woah - and your little one has her own bag to play with! This way everyone had something to be happy about, no?
I haven't heard of internet scavenger contests before, but this sounds like a really fun thing to do!

 

post a comment