ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Thrift shop yarn

This weekend I decided to take a look in the Nelson IODE thrift shop, and for the first time, I actually came across some yarn in a thrift shop. Granted, most of it was acrylic - there was a jumbo skein of Bernat "no dye lot" yarn on top, but there were a few skeins which looked to be at least partly natural fibres. Any skein without a label had been wound on a ball winder.
This is some 4 strand yarn that feels like it contains some cotton. I have been told that you can just knit with this type of yarn as is, but I'm guessing it would be waaaaaay less of a pain in the @ss if it was spun together - any spinners reading this post feel free to comment.
Some pale beige boucle; I've never used boucle yarn before. I think I will try dyeing this stuff.
Some good Canadian yarn. It certainly looks like there are 2 separate strands; I have to take it apart to see for certain.
A bag for Somerset to play in. The whole bunch - $9!

On the sock front, starting to turn the heel at 9 inches worked better - I seem to have deleted the picture taken from the side. I also added in 3 extra sets of short rows. Now I have to figure out how tall I can make the cuff (and still have enough yarn left for a second sock of the same size).

Comments on "Thrift shop yarn"

 

Blogger turtlegirl76 said ... (Tue Jul 18, 03:35:00 PM EDT) : 

Weight the sock and the yarn together (if you have a second set of needles to weight to take out that extra weight do that too, but they probably aren't that much) and weight the yarn you have left. Take out the weight of the current sock, and divide the remainder in half. That should give you a ballpark.

Nice score with the thrift store yarn! I have no idea about the strand stuff though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Fri Jul 21, 08:31:00 AM EDT) : 

great haul! and that looks like a happy kitty...

 

Blogger Kris said ... (Fri Jul 21, 05:54:00 PM EDT) : 

For toe ups, I usually do them at the same time. I might start at the other end of the ball and knit the second sock with a second set of needles. That way you work them both until they are the same length. Saves on the guessing.

 

post a comment