ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring Ahead

Check it out - actual knitting content!

stripey cat
No need to adjust your computer; the 2 skeins of yarn are in fact different colours.
stripey cat no flash
Master Grey + Tom Cat = Master Cat Socks. I am also referring to them as the Stripey Cat Socks.
First pinkery side
First completed Pinkery Sock.
completed argyles side
Post-op Argyle Socks.
completed argyles top
I had to take the scissors to these before I could complete them; more detail in an upcoming post.

And here's my newest project:
Mumble Cardi
My version of the Whisper Cardigan from Interweave Knits; its working title is The Mumble Cardigan. Being knit out of some alpaca yarn I picked up in a stash swap.

I intend to knit the sleeves longer and narrower than as written, so I did a provisional cast on at the point in the pattern just past the last pattern decrease. For reasons that are not entirely clear to me, I decided to cast on 70 stitches rather than 76. However, since my gauge is 22-23 stitches per 4 inches rather than 24 as called for in the pattern, I am hoping that this will not be a fatal error.

I am using 4mm needles as my largest size. My dilemma is that the pattern calls for 4.5mm, 3.5 mm, and 2.75 mm needles; what specific smaller sizes should I be using? Rather than obsessing about proportional decreases in size, I let the needles make the decision - I was able to find a 3mm circ and a 2mm circ without having to leave the living room (in the needle roll of all places - imagine that!), so those are the sizes I will use.

We are heading to Montreal this weekend; The Gambler has a fencing tournament on Saturday, so I am hoping to make decent progress. I am particularly looking forward to the knitting 3 inches of 1x1 rib over 296 stitches - gah!

I am starting to think that there is some kind of twisted contest on amongst the IK designers to see exactly how far they can push us. Case in point: the Float Stole with it's 405 stitch cast on. Of course the Frost Flowers Stole still retains the title of Most Likely To Make You Want To Poke Your Eyes Out with its 996 stitch cast on and 220 stitches of grafting right at the end.
But the one that gets me the most this issue is the so called Sweet Tee, which calls for a whole skein of Manos Silk Blend (pink) in order to knit somewhere between 26 and 34 stitches.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Spring Ahead"

 

Blogger Cathy-Cate said ... (Fri Mar 20, 02:24:00 PM EDT) : 

Re: the first sock's name: as opposed to something boring but logical, like 'Grey Cat',
or 'Master Tom'!!

Pinkery looks great, can't wait to hear about the Argyles, and agree with you about IK. I assume the designers get the yarn free, and have test knitters who don't complain, that's the only explanation.

Have fun in Montreal, I love that city.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Fri Mar 20, 03:18:00 PM EDT) : 

That's a whole whack of awesome sock knitting! I like the mild grey stripes. And i hope the required Argyle surgery wasn't too drastic, yikes!

 

Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said ... (Wed Mar 25, 10:09:00 PM EDT) : 

As I read onI was glad to find that the op in the post op was done to the socks, not to you. And also plus I love the gray grey socks, too. Interweave is not on my nice list right now either.

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Mon Mar 30, 09:29:00 PM EDT) : 

Wow, you're productive! I love the similar-yet-different gray socks... but I'm madly impressed with the Argyle socks. Now that takes patience and dedication!

 

post a comment