ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Great things about Italy

When we took a tour of The Vatican, we knew about the dress code from reading our tourbooks. No bare shoulders, no short shorts - although it's not clear whether or not exposed knees were OK.

However, it didn't occur to us that this was the rule in other cathedrals: At The Vatican, you would be denied entry for inappropriate dress, but at other locations (like The Duomo in Florence), those with bare shoulders would be provided with paper ponchos to wear.
Of course there was the art as well; we skipped many of the more famous galleries, but tried to see as much modern art as we could.
This was the (villa's) neighbor's dog ; we called him Cerberus.
As the non-driver, I found the Italian roads quite scenic. The Gambler had a bit of a different experience - at one point he commented that even though he was going twice the posted speed limit on a fairly curvy 2 lane road, two drivers had passed him as we drove uphill.
When's the last time you got boccocini cheese at McDonald's?

I enjoy visiting grocery stores when we travel; it's neat to see what's on the shelves. Chocolate covered Bran Flakes - brilliant!

Labels:

Comments on "Great things about Italy"

 

Blogger Jolynn said ... (Thu Nov 13, 09:15:00 PM EST) : 

Hmm... That's interesting about not allowing bare shoulders. At least they give you something to cover with rather than turning you away!

Your post made me want some cereal! Haha.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Thu Nov 13, 09:51:00 PM EST) : 

I went to a church in Russia that made me put on a head scarf (that I kind of expected) and wrap a piece of cloth around my hips in imitation of a dress (I was already wearing fairly baggy long pants). And I remember my sister having to slouch going into the Vatican to make her dress long enough.

I also adore foreign grocery stores, which I always go into, even if I only buy a bottle of water.

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Fri Nov 14, 07:24:00 AM EST) : 

I didn't realize that bare shoulders was sacreligious. One would think that would be the chocolate covered bran flakes! Ha ha!

 

Blogger Yarn Devil said ... (Fri Nov 14, 10:03:00 AM EST) : 

So, I guess the question is... did th chocolate coating make the bran flakes any better?

 

Blogger Cathy-Cate said ... (Fri Nov 14, 10:51:00 AM EST) : 

This is Italy -- you'd think they could have made the paper poncho a little more chic! Or made it a paper shawl, perhaps.

Love the pop food tour.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Sat Nov 15, 12:53:00 PM EST) : 

I am glad you keep such a good blog! This way when I am in Las Vegas and missing you like crazy, I can get my little fix! Always nice to get a reminder about how wonderful you are!

The Gambler.

 

post a comment