ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Friday, October 24, 2008

Somerset Update

We have decided to go ahead with the radioactive iodine therapy for Somerset.


It turns out that it's quite the undertaking - the biggest part of which is the fact that she will end up spending 9 days at the specialty clinic - 2 days before the procedure (when they are assessing her), and 7 days afterwards (to allow her to excrete the bulk of the radioactive iodine). While she's in there we can't visit her, and anything that is with her will be disposed of because it will be contaminated with radiation.



How come I have to go to jail when Greedo is the one who walks all over the kitchen counter while you aren't home?


I feel horrible about putting her through this, but it turns out that the dose of thyroid medication that she can tolerate isn't working for her. So at least this will solve the problem, and will mean we won't have to torture her put ointment in her ear any more.


In an attempt to make the whole ordeal a wee bit easier on her, I am crocheting her a mat:


Radioactive kitty mat


It's just row after row of single crochet using some of the leftover yarn that I used to knit Kitty Pi. I thought I'd try crochet since it's supposed to be faster - I actually quite like the fabric it makes. Of course, I'm not entirely clear as to what to do with the stitches at the end, hence the widening and narrowing of the rows. It is coming along very fast - I just started it yesterday. We take her in on November 10th, so I have plenty of time to make it a good size for her to curl up on.


For now, we are getting in all the quality time with her that we can:


Somerset


Because for 30 days after she comes home, we are supposed to limit close contact with her, and wear gloves when we pet her. At least we won't have to keep Greedo away from her.


Italy and Rhinebeck photos this weekend. I promise!

Labels:

Comments on "Somerset Update"

 

Blogger Maggie said ... (Fri Oct 24, 09:05:00 PM EDT) : 

Oh poor thing! This is going to be so hard for all of you. Looking forward to the day the gloves come off.

 

Blogger Bridget said ... (Sat Oct 25, 08:37:00 AM EDT) : 

Poor Somerset! I'm sure she will wonder what is going on, but at least in the long run it will be better for her.

I think the hardest part would be no close contact for 30 days!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Sat Oct 25, 09:11:00 AM EDT) : 

Chin scratches to Somerset, and Greedo.

I hope all of you get through this in good spirits.

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Sat Oct 25, 10:13:00 AM EDT) : 

Oh man, I know how horrible it is for PEOPLE going thru radioactive iodine treatment--it seems worse for cats!

I mean gloves!? Poor Somerset!!!

 

Blogger cpurl17 said ... (Sat Oct 25, 01:46:00 PM EDT) : 

Poor sweet Somerset. The crochet mat is so sweet and hopefully will comfort her when she's away.

Hold on Somerset!

 

Blogger Vaedri said ... (Sun Oct 26, 03:22:00 PM EDT) : 

Aw, poor kitty. It will be so hard not to scritch all the time.

Good luck - I hope this works like it's supposed to and solves the problem!

 

Blogger Wendy said ... (Sun Oct 26, 08:53:00 PM EDT) : 

Your poor kitty! I wish her a speedy recovery!!

 

Blogger Sweet Camden Lass said ... (Mon Oct 27, 06:28:00 AM EDT) : 

*hugs* for Somerset. ~x~

 

Blogger Christina K. said ... (Mon Oct 27, 01:50:00 PM EDT) : 

Poor Kitty - here's a big hug coming your way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Thu Oct 30, 09:49:00 PM EDT) : 

Poor baby---how on earth can one 'limit contact' with a pet you love so much!

Torture for both you and Somerset!

 

post a comment