ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election night

This morning as I drove into work I heard about a big gathering planned at Yonge/Dundas Square that would celebrate Obama's anticipated victory.
(For non-Torontonians: Yonge/Dundas square is supposed to be our equivalent of Times Square, if Times Square was private property and specifically designed to be a place to plaster with ads for concerts/events/markets etc).

I decided to go check it out, since today will be considered historic by many. As I rode the subway downtown, I thought about how great it is to live in a big city, with amazing things happening just around the corner every day.
At 10 PM (Eastern), the crowds had not yet appeared. But I could at least watch the election updates on one of the outdoor screens, right?
Maybe not. On the up side, there are some great winter sun vacation deals available right now.
Even CTV (the network which boasts of having Canada's most-watched newscast) chose to run ads for So You Think You Can Dance Canada rather than broadcast coverage of an event that will affect the whole world.

Even one of CNN's doofy "Holograms" would have been better than this!

Labels:

Comments on "Election night"

 

Blogger Maggie said ... (Wed Nov 05, 03:35:00 AM EST) : 

Wow, that's disappointing and a little bit embarrassing. I hope at least you had a good time! We watched the results at home on tv, and I was actually really moved by the outcome.

So that's what Yonge and Dundas looks like now. I sadly haven't been down there since before all that reconstruction. I don't know if I'm impressed or horrified. I didn't know we needed a Times Square equivalent.

Incidentally, we tried to watch SYTYCD Canada, since we love the the original. Unfortunately, the host makes it unwatchable. :( She's no Cat Deeley.

 

post a comment