ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Monday, November 03, 2008

Letter from the Iditor, Holiday Edition

Dear Ms Schurch:

I picked up a copy of the Interweave Knits Holiday Gifts Edition this weekend. Your Frost Flowers Stole looks lovely. However, my enthusiasm for this pattern plummeted when I saw the first sentence : "Using the cable method, CO 992 stitches ".

I suggest you speak to your doctor about having your lithium dose adjusted.

LLD

PS - Thanks for the hint about using markers to mark every 20 stitches. Good idea to make them out of waste yarn, because one would need ALMOST FIFTY MARKERS! I imagine that tying 49 small loops of yarn will be a good warmup to casting on for this shawl.

Labels:

Comments on "Letter from the Iditor, Holiday Edition"

 

Blogger Jolynn said ... (Mon Nov 03, 10:12:00 PM EST) : 

Oh my goodness! 992?!? Yikes!

 

Blogger Cathy-Cate said ... (Mon Nov 03, 10:35:00 PM EST) : 

HA!

Strike that one from my list!


(Not that I couldn't make up my own Frost Flowers and Leaves Stole anyway....take THAT, IKHE!)

 

Blogger Trillian42 said ... (Mon Nov 03, 11:11:00 PM EST) : 

Wow. I had admired that one in the photos when I flipped through my copy today. Hadn't caught the obnoxious cast-on number, though. Think that one will be waiting a while. Almost a thousand stitches? No, thank you!

 

Blogger Yarnsnob said ... (Mon Nov 03, 11:32:00 PM EST) : 

I love the cable cast on method, it's the one I prefer. Casting on that many stitches is not what scares me, it's knitting lace over 992 that would be my death.

 

Blogger Lynn said ... (Tue Nov 04, 06:49:00 AM EST) : 

On the other hand, is it better to cast on 992 stitches and end up with less, or to cast on less, and end up with 992?

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Tue Nov 04, 07:35:00 AM EST) : 

I don't even think I HAVE 50 markers!

 

Blogger Jo said ... (Tue Nov 04, 08:34:00 AM EST) : 

992? WTF are you casting onto?

 

Blogger Beadknitter said ... (Tue Nov 04, 10:17:00 AM EST) : 

LOL! Lovin' your letter.

Where's your spirit of adventure? Think how impressed the rest of your knitting friends would be if you knit it? Actually, when I was in my 20's I knit a dress that had a ruffle that I had to cast on over 900 sts to start. It increased from there. Wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be.

Courage!

 

Blogger Karen said ... (Tue Nov 04, 01:06:00 PM EST) : 

I haven't seen the shawl, or the copy of the mag yet. I may have to go check it out....after I have someone do the heimlich on me...I CHOKED on my sandwich. 992 stitches? That's sheer insanity.

(though I think it's really pretty and in some moment of insanity, I will probably cast on. FAR in the future though)

 

Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said ... (Tue Nov 04, 04:50:00 PM EST) : 

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, let's see, that's 21 ha's. Only 971 to go. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha I picked a fine time to quit smoking. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Now how many have I got?

Nope, I don't think I can do it.

 

Blogger o_O said ... (Tue Nov 04, 07:09:00 PM EST) : 

Oh. My. Stars.

 

Blogger Amy said ... (Wed Nov 05, 09:10:00 PM EST) : 

...I don't even know what to say! Glad to know now rather than later?

(My word verification is "befer!" I like that. I kinda wish it actually were a word. Random thought.)

 

post a comment