ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Monday, March 03, 2008

Hey Hey, it's some Monkeys!

This weekend, I started working on The March Madness Monkeys. Here's the progress as of today:

First 2 repeats - take 5!

Doesn't look like alot of knitting, but here's what it took to get this far:

1) Do a provisional cast on for a 72 stitch toe up sock, knit about 95% of the toe, and then realize that the sock will be too big for me(I've never used 2.5mm needles for socks before). Frog.

2) Start a toe up sock for 64 stitches. Marvel at the fact that it seems like the sock will fit my foot. ( I always have to adjust sock patterns to fit my size 11 feet). Knit the pattern chart from the bottom up. Knit half the chart before I realize that the chart is SUPPOSED to be knit from the bottom up, so the pattern will be upside down. Rip back to the toe.

3) Knit the pattern chart from the top down, believing that it will generate the same pattern upside down. After 2.5 pattern repeats, realize that it doesn't. Frog.

4) Start knitting the sock top down. Try slipping the cuff over my heel - with much wriggling, it can make it. Knit 2 pattern repeats. Try slipping it over again. Again, barely makes it over. Cast on feels too tight. Frog.

5) Start knitting the sock top down using 2.75 dpns for the twisted rib cuff. The purl stitches on the twisted rib look like mesh, but it makes it over my heel. Knit 2 pattern repeats.

So by now I should be knitting the foot. Oh well. Have I mentioned my joy at having only 64 stitches per round? It's like the sock is kniting itself!!

Labels:

Comments on "Hey Hey, it's some Monkeys!"

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Tue Mar 04, 07:11:00 AM EST) : 

WEll true to the song, people say those socks like to monkey around.

 

Blogger Cathy-Cate said ... (Tue Mar 04, 07:38:00 AM EST) : 

Those are very colorful, a good remedy for March, even if they by all rights should be further along (so what else is new?!).

I too got some 2.5 mms from KnitPicks and was surprised at how different my gauge was from 2.25 or 2.75; not hugely as far as measurement, but a lot as far as knitted fabric characteristics, I thought. A quarter millimeter, whodathunkit!

I hardly dare point out that there is a toe-up Monkey on the 'net somewhere. You're doing fine. Enjoy the 64-stitchosity!

 

Blogger Brigitte said ... (Tue Mar 04, 08:20:00 AM EST) : 

Whooops! I'm a complete spaz when it comes to socks, so I um, kinda know where you're coming from...

But - 60/64 stitches is the norm for me and my 6.5 sized feet

 

Blogger Vaedri said ... (Tue Mar 04, 08:37:00 AM EST) : 

Most of my socks require beginning at least three times. You are not alone.

I love that colourway - it's so bright and hectic and cheerful.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (Tue Mar 04, 09:55:00 AM EST) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (Tue Mar 04, 09:56:00 AM EST) : 

Very pretty yarn and it is a very good pattern for those colors. You are doing great, I think I would have backed away from the knitting long before you would :) Great Job!

 

Blogger jpknits said ... (Tue Mar 04, 11:08:00 AM EST) : 

Cathy-cate nailed it - good thing I read before I moved on. The yarn is perfect for getting out of the grey slump of winter.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tue Mar 04, 11:45:00 AM EST) : 

I love the yarn, and the fact that you finally wound up knitting top down is further confirmation that I have no good reason to knit toe-up socks! I want to knit monkeys for my next trick, but certain people (*cough*) are encouraging me to go the toe-up route first to expand my horizons. - Nora

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tue Mar 04, 06:39:00 PM EST) : 

Starting socks sucks doesn't it? I swear I always end up ripping them out at least two or three times before getting the size right.

Fun yarn though!

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Wed Mar 05, 09:34:00 PM EST) : 

Mine (well, my sister's) were cursed too. But they are so pretty! I love the colorful happy yarn you picked. As a person with serious SAD, I find that happy colors really cheer me up.

 

Blogger Aunt Kathy said ... (Wed Mar 05, 10:14:00 PM EST) : 

hahaha the socks are practically knitting themselves. That was a great ending to the monkey sock debacle. LOL

 

Blogger Geri said ... (Thu Mar 06, 01:13:00 PM EST) : 

Hey Lisa! I found this very cool modification on Ravelry - Gretchenknits No Purl Monkeys. Check them out. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/gretchenknits/monkey-2

Will we see you tonight at Kniterary?

 

Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said ... (Fri Mar 07, 08:20:00 PM EST) : 

Oooh I like the color!

 

Blogger katerina said ... (Mon Mar 17, 10:33:00 PM EDT) : 

I really love the colors of that sock yarn! What is it?

 

post a comment