ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Some things never change

When I was young and foolish, I had a boyfriend who was really into music. He would buy a record (because I am old enough to have purchased vinyl records in my youth), tape it, and then we'd listen to the tapes. But he firmly believed (somewhat irrationally) that fast forwarding was hard on cassette tapes.

So frequently, when I would suggest we listen to an album, he'd reply "We can't; it's not wound", meaning that we couldn't listen to side A until we had listened to side B. Drove me nuts.

Fast forward 23 years (Oh God, I am old!), and I am in the throes of startitis, trying to decide what to cast on next. Kaleidoscope - damn, all 3 sock yarns are still in skeins.
Lady of the Lake jacket - Mission Falls wool is ready to go, charcoal gracebut the Lorna's Laces is in skeins.
That groovy sock yarn that I thought of knitting into Monkeysknitwerx sock brights close - skeined.
Handspun for Candleflame shawl gift wool- skeins.
Laceweight for Tuscany mulberrypron- big hank o' silky goodness.


Everything I want to knit right this very minute - I can't. It's not wound. Drives me nuts.

Yes, I do in fact own both a swift and a ballwinder, but I find winding yarn kind of tedious. Partially because I don't have many convenient surfaces of the right width to accomodate the swift/winder clamps, so I end up with all sorts of weird arrangement, including holding the winder in my hand. Plus I always end up with one end of the yarn hanging free, and it wraps around the winder pole, and then Somerset wants to get in on the action...My life is sooooooo haaaaaaard!

But speaking of hanks o' goodness:Grignasco merino silk laceweight
This is the great laceweight that my awesome Blogger Secret Pal sent me
Grignasco merino silk laceweight close
Isn't it lovely?

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Some things never change"

 

Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said ... (Sun Nov 18, 08:38:00 AM EST) : 

so pretty! I usually try to wind in front of the tv. and once I get it set up, I wind some, do something else, then wind some more. Good luck! :)

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Sun Nov 18, 09:04:00 AM EST) : 

Ok that tape-thing is hilarous. Great tie-in to your yarn! Ha ha!

 

Blogger knitmd said ... (Sun Nov 18, 09:07:00 AM EST) : 

Schacht (I think) makes a winding station which took care of that problem for me. It has vertical rods for eight bobbins, two horizontal rods which can also hold bobbins, eyelets for putting singles through for plying, a swing out arm for putting a swift on, and the top is a great thickness for the ball winder, yarn meter, whatever. I have found it invaluable as I started doing more spinning!

 

Blogger turtlegirl76 said ... (Sun Nov 18, 10:17:00 AM EST) : 

I was wondering where you were going with the tape story. Ha! You're too funny. Don't let the hanks get you down though! Put Somerset in the bathroom, get set up and wind wind wind. Just do it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Sun Nov 18, 03:57:00 PM EST) : 

1400 I believe, that should wind up pretty quick....sorry I must have been drunk on the yarn fumes....tee hee....

 

Blogger jacquieblackman said ... (Mon Nov 19, 09:19:00 AM EST) : 

Sounds like there needs to be a yarn night at House of Sammon. A little wine and some help would probably go a long way to getting things into cakes. ;-)

 

Blogger Carol said ... (Tue Nov 27, 09:32:00 PM EST) : 

Winding a skein in my house is kinda weird too. My kitchen table has a sloped edge, so the swift and winder won't clamp on securely. My coffeetable has a weird, non-flat edge too. Kitchen counter doesn't work either. So I am reduced to clamping the swift and winder onto the seat of my kitchen chair and doing it that way. Akward since it is so low.

 

post a comment