ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Delusion induced by severe sleep deprivation

In late summer of 2006, I bought some nice alpaca sock yarn. It wasn't superwash, but I wasn't concerned about it. But this sad sock story led me to reconsider.



I'm considering combining these 3 yarns into one project. The yarn on the right is silk/merino (246 metres), and the middle yarn is merino(382 metres). The alpaca yarn (350ish metres) is on the left (just in case the fuzziness doesn't show on your screen)



The green tones in the silk/merino are very similar to those in the other 2 yarns, so I think that colourwise it will work out. Gauge is my concern - the silk/merino looks like it might be a sportweight, and the other 2 look more like fingering.



I'm thinking of knitting something along the lines of the hourglass sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts.



There are a few points I'd like to get opinions on:



1) Should I use only these yarns with large needles, and have a fabric that is very open, or look for another yarn (laceweight?) to carry along that will combine to create a bulkier yarn?



2) If I do decide to use a second yarn, what colour should I look for - grey or green? Light or dark?



3) If I alternate yarns each row, will that minimize the effects of the different gauges, or will I just get a wonky looking fabric?



4) Am I ever going to make anything near a dent on my "to Knit" list?

Comments on "Delusion induced by severe sleep deprivation"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Fri Nov 09, 12:54:00 AM EST) : 

You could get away with mixing, matching and alternating if the fabric was a simple lace stitch (I had good luck once alternating lace weight with DK and worsted in three different fibres, using a basic feather and fan stitch.) I would not do it with a very simple and classic stockinette sweater - that will just look uneven - you need a textured stitch to disguise it. Why not make long fingerless gloves (or ones with fingers, for that matter) or perhaps a scarf, using the two fingering weight yarns in a stranded colourwork pattern - it could be deliciously subtle. (I'm thinking something along the lines of the Turkish scarf I knit for my mother last Christmas.)

 

Blogger Glenna C said ... (Fri Nov 09, 08:11:00 AM EST) : 

4) Very low probability, if your to knit list is anything like mine ;)

I think either the striping plan and/or striping with a common yarn held double would work great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Fri Nov 09, 02:16:00 PM EST) : 

Have you seen those kits that hold two yarns together, but alternate which ones are held together for gradual stripes? In case you haven't, I'll explain. Basically, you have yarn A, yarn B & yarn C, right? So you knit double stranded in sequence like this: AA, AB, BB, BC, CC, CA, etc.

I think that could work here with cool results, though I don't know how the sport weight would factor in. Obviously you'd want to swatch it.

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Fri Nov 09, 08:11:00 PM EST) : 

Hm, yeah all I can say is: will ANYONE ever accomplish #4?

I love those colors, and I love your countertops too!

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Sat Nov 10, 05:11:00 PM EST) : 

I really like the idea of knitting double stranded and always holding 2 different strands together as suggested by Melissa! If you want the yarn to have more 'body', you could always get a strand of gray or light green mohair to carry along. Even laceweight mohair gives loads of body because of its fuzziness.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Sun Nov 11, 09:10:00 PM EST) : 

I'd love to see your final decision on this. I'm sleep deprived at the moment [end of year Med finals] so I can't really offer a suggestion, although I will say that I've used a plain yarn held tog with a variegated. I've also tried #3 and the result was a wonky fabric [Zena/SKIF].

 

post a comment