ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Und ein SP11 Konkurrenz

Our super generous SP11 hostess has been running some blog posting contests. Her latest one was: Post a photo of your first FO and your most recent FO and discuss how your knitting has changed in the interim.

Well, my very first FO was a pair of mittens I knit out of purple Patons Decor yarn. Which were given to charity when I got rid of the jacket that they matched. They were knit in 2001 or 2002, before I had a functional digital camera (I had one at the time that I had bought second hand, but the dowload cord got lost, and it was impossible to replace, etc.)

So I am posting my first blogged FO:
clap fountain

catpotis

clap n me
The clapotis I knit out of Crystal Palace Party ribbon yarn in Jan/Feb 2006.

And the clapotis that I knit out of Fleece Artist/handspun in Sept/Oct 2007:
completed clapotis

Hmmm...how has my knitting changed...well, I think that I have a better understanding of how various fibres are likely to behave, and which ones might be more appropriate or less appropriate for a specific project (i.e ribbon yarn is much heavier than wool), and I am a bit more careful about finishing (I just joined new yarn anywhere with the ribbon clap and knotted it in; I joined the new yarn at the ends of rows, and wove the ends in). I am much more likely to knit with circs than with straight needles. I am much better at "reading" my knitting than I was back then. Thanks to Eunny Jang, I understand why pooling occurs, and what techniques can be used to prevent/minimize it. I've learned new techniques - new ways to cast on and cast off, socks, magic loop, knitting with beads. And my stash is waaaaay larger than it was at the beginning of 2006.

****************
A few posts ago someone had asked about the origin of the switched stitch patterns - it's not from a Barbara Walker book. It's from a Mon Tricot Special Publication. It's a magazine format called 1500 Patterns, which also has a Step by Step Knitting section at the beginning. I think it might have been put out by Pingouin given their logo is on the cover, but it somewhat surprisingly has absolutely no other adverts on the inside or out. I bought it at a thrift store for $1, so it came along for the trip. I will definitely test swatch future patterns - one sock pattern that I think would be great for socks says "Row 2 and even rows - knit the purl stitches and purl the knit stitches of the previous row", when there AREN'T any purl stitches in the odd numbered rows - just yo's, slipped stitches and k2tog's.

Labels:

Comments on "Und ein SP11 Konkurrenz"

 

Blogger cpurl17 said ... (Sat Oct 20, 01:07:00 AM EDT) : 

They're both beautiful! The differences in yarn choices reminds me of my first knitting projects compared to now.

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Sun Oct 21, 10:20:00 AM EDT) : 

I'm glad to see that cat modeling is a time-honored tradition on your blog. We all just come here to look at the kitties, you know!

Well, OK, your knitting is also beautiful, but don't tell that to the cats. They'll be offended.

 

post a comment