ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Friday, October 19, 2007

Ich bin krank

So this is what 40 feels like - red, irritated, dripping nose; scratchy throat; sinus congestion...

...Oh wait, that's my cold.


Yes, this is turning out to be a somewhat memorable birthday - bad cold in the middle of our Eurotrip, being re-united with the cellphones (despite a French Postal Strike), and The Gambler realizing that he forgot my card at home. But that's OK - all this just gives me licence to stretch out the celebration for the next week or so.



I did get a present from The Gambler a few days ago:

Coke and "Coca-light" have been the universal in restaurants thus far (well, except for the place that had Cola-licht, which turned out to be East German cola, according to the Berliner we were with. It is of slightly higher quality than East German toilet paper.), and I am a die hard Diet Pepsi drinker. Our hotel in Berlin has a kitchenette, so when he went to the market to pick up some food, The Gambler managed to find my sweet beautiful Diet Pepsi.


And I have bought myself some yarny presents. The first was an amazing bargain: a bulky wool yarn for 1.95 Euros per ball (less than $2.70 Cdn). I picked it up at a Lana Grossa shop in Nurmberg.

But before that, I picked up this yarn at Tolle Wolle in Nurmberg:

Some handspun merino for 12 Euros per skein; and I bought it entirely because of the colourway:

It's Somerset coloured yarn!


Dear Mommy, this is Somerset. Happy Birthday. We miss you. Greedo wants you to send some schnitzel.

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Ich bin krank"

 

Blogger CathyCate said ... (Fri Oct 19, 12:52:00 PM EDT) : 

I'm glad you got souvenir birthday yarn, and cat-colored yarn at that. I think you need more, though. A head cold is not the birthday present you needed! To cheer you up, here's a German poem about it:

Der Schnupfen
(Christian Morgenstern: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Morgenstern)

Ein Schnupfen hockt auf der Terasse
auf dass er sich ein Opfer fasse,

-- und sturzt alsbald mit grossem Grimm
auf einen Menschen namens Schrimm.

Paul Schrimm erwidert prompt: Pitschu!
und hat ihm drauf bis Montag fruh.

The Sniffle (Christian Morgenstern, translation by Max Knight)

A sniffle crouches on the terrace
to catch a victim he can harass.

And suddenly he jumps with vim
upon a man by name of Schrimm.

Paul Schrimm, responding with "Achoo!"
is stuck with him the weekend through.

Hope it's only the weekend and you get better fast. Happy birthday!

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Fri Oct 19, 01:45:00 PM EDT) : 

Happy birthday! I'll bet if Somerset sheds on that yarn, you'll never know!

I thought it was French Transit Strike?? Meh, who cares--their president is getting divorced--much more sensational!

 

Blogger Vaedri said ... (Fri Oct 19, 05:34:00 PM EDT) : 

Happy birthday! Enjoy your European caffeine rush!

 

Blogger Easy Way Out said ... (Fri Oct 19, 06:17:00 PM EDT) : 

Feliz B-day!!

 

Blogger Sandi Purl said ... (Fri Oct 19, 06:19:00 PM EDT) : 

that Feliz B-day was from me! not Easy Way Out. Although i'm sure Jay's band wishes you all the best! seems jay forgot to log himself out. *growl*. Regardless - happy happy!!

 

Blogger GURO said ... (Fri Oct 19, 06:22:00 PM EDT) : 

Awwwww, feel better soon! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

(That's some pretty yarn you've got there...)

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Fri Oct 19, 08:44:00 PM EDT) : 

Happy Birthday, feel better! There's something about special days and getting sick, and no, I don't buy the stress weakened your immune system prior to the event and then you crashed theory. Those bugs do it on purpose, I tell you!

 

Blogger Lori said ... (Sat Oct 20, 09:17:00 AM EDT) : 

Happy Birthday!!! Your yarn souveniers look great - I really love the colors of that handspun too!
Hope you kick the cold soon.

 

Blogger turtlegirl76 said ... (Sat Oct 20, 06:09:00 PM EDT) : 

Happy birthday! I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. =( Hope you get to feeling better soon and enjoy the rest of your trip!

 

post a comment