ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Decisions, Decisions

I wonder if every so often someone lucks out and 2 of them fall out of the dispenser...

I have started swatching for this cardigan sweater jacket. This is probably the most honest swatch I will ever knit, because I'm not entirely sure where the pattern is (I can narrow it down to one room...which contains several boxes), so I don't know the exact gauge that the pattern calls for. So there's no use in me doing all sorts of manipulations to hit a specific stitch/inch count.

I do have a dilemma however:

"Wrong" side of swatch:

"Right" side of swatch.
(Yeah - that's a row of garter stitch in the middle. I was knitting on the subway and kind of went into autopilot) With the 2 colours, I kind of prefer the way that the purl side looks to the knit side. It breaks up the little zigzags that form. I know that I can knit from alternate skeins, but the blocks of colour are only 4 or 5 stitches long, and I'd drive myself crazy trying to prevent this minimal degree of pooling.

Any opinions?

In other knitting news - here's a photo of the plain vanilla stockinette socks on one of my 2 portable sock blockers:

And here's the completed Bag of Blue Popcorn:

It's now packed into a box that just needs to be addressed and then mailed to my Knittyboard Secret Pal. I'll be blogging about my own Secret Pal package tomorrow!

Labels:

Comments on "Decisions, Decisions"

 

Blogger Cyn said ... (Sat Sep 15, 07:59:00 PM EDT) : 

I actually think the knit side looks better! But if it's going to drive you crazy, I suppose you should choose sanity, or something.

Also... creeeepy... I go to post this comment and at the same time get an email notification that you just posted a comment on my blog. Hee!

 

Blogger turtlegirl76 said ... (Sat Sep 15, 08:29:00 PM EDT) : 

Do you think it's representative of what the garment itself would turn out as though? I mean, it's a small gauge swatch compared to the panels you'd be making for it right? I dunno.

 

Blogger Stacie said ... (Sat Sep 15, 08:30:00 PM EDT) : 

I love the pattern! I am learning that pooling drives me nuts! I dig the portable sock blockers!

 

Blogger Ev said ... (Sat Sep 15, 10:46:00 PM EDT) : 

I do like the portable sock blockers! LOL

And contrary to cyn, I like the purl side better. How would it look on the finished garment though?

 

Blogger Ev said ... (Sat Sep 15, 10:48:00 PM EDT) : 

Ok, I just went to look at the sweater/jacket pattern. It's definitely do-able in reverse stocking stitch. It would look just fine. Heck, if you're really good on your seams, you could make it reversible!

 

Blogger CathyCate said ... (Sat Sep 15, 11:37:00 PM EDT) : 

Nice sock blockers! And custom-fit to you, too!

I like the purl side, if the pattern's simple. It is a more casual look with that yarn; again depending on the garment if it's suitable. Or the dreaded seed stitch or moss stitch would break up the pooling too.

Glad you're back in living colo(u)r!

 

Blogger Bridget said ... (Sun Sep 16, 09:14:00 AM EDT) : 

I think I would need to see what the final result is/should be, before I could decide what I like better ...

Nice socks, and the little bag is so cute! I think your swap pal is lucky.

I'm so glad you are "up and running" again!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Sun Sep 16, 10:02:00 AM EDT) : 

I like them both... the yarn's a little thick/thin, right? That makes the reverse side look nice, I think. But it's hard to tell what the colors are going to do in longer rows, so if there's not a clear right side/wrong side for a while, maybe don't decide until you've got a few inches of the back (or front side, or where ever you're starting) done?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Sun Sep 16, 03:48:00 PM EDT) : 

I like the reverse side. But just for grins, how about trying seed stitch? That's one of my favorites for blurring color changes.

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Sun Sep 16, 07:19:00 PM EDT) : 

Hm, I like the coloring of the purl side, but I'm a sucker for stockinette. Lot of help I am huh?

 

post a comment