ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Monday, August 27, 2007

Eureka!

I've figured out what yarn to use for the Candleflame Shawl:
gift wool
This yarn was a present from a patient.

I was reminded of it today at work when I saw a gift of fruit and other goodies; looking at the card, I realized that it was from a patient who I had stayed up all night taking care of. At the time, I was sure that he wasn't going to survive, but he did, and was discharged home from the hospital while I was on vacation. He wrote "Thanks for saving my life" on the card.

It's a weird thing to hear something like that. Because I didn't save his life through any superhuman talent; any other doctor with the same training that I have could have done so. It's like an airline pilot landing a plane - "just doing my job". I happened to be the one who was on call the night that he came in, that's all.

But I still took home the basket that the goodies came in - it will be a great place to store yarn...

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Eureka!"

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (Tue Aug 28, 12:15:00 AM EDT) : 

That is very nice yarn! :)

 

Blogger Ev said ... (Tue Aug 28, 12:46:00 AM EDT) : 

That will be a very special shawl, in my very humble opinion, Lisa.

 

Blogger CathyCate said ... (Tue Aug 28, 12:58:00 AM EDT) : 

I think that yarn will be a wonderful fit for the Candleflame shawl, especially since the pattern builds from one flame to many, to fit your desired size and yardage. (Looks like plenty of yarn.) And you know, there's a lot of symbolism there, with the candle flame as a symbol of hope and light in the darkness; given to you by your patient; and one flame kindling many in the pattern. Wow.
Cathy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tue Aug 28, 06:39:00 AM EDT) : 

it's nice to be appreciated.

 

Blogger turtlegirl76 said ... (Tue Aug 28, 07:02:00 AM EDT) : 

Wow. Pardon me whilst I recover from CathyCate just blowing my mind. Talk about symbolism. That will definitely be a special shawl. And training or no, not every Dr. is the same. Some, like yourself, are very, very special human beings.

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Tue Aug 28, 07:25:00 AM EDT) : 

Yeah anyone who gifts you yarn like that it means you did a good job--because you obviously took the time to talk to him. And somewhere along the line he figured out that you're a knitter.

Unless he's just weird and gifts yarn to everyone. ;-)

 

Blogger Vaedri said ... (Tue Aug 28, 07:30:00 AM EDT) : 

Beautiful yarn. And made even more beautiful because it's such a meaningful gift!

 

Blogger Jo said ... (Tue Aug 28, 08:36:00 AM EDT) : 

Congratulations - you deserved it.

 

Blogger Bridget said ... (Tue Aug 28, 09:31:00 AM EDT) : 

That's some mighty nice yarn!

And let me tell you, as someone who is/was frequently the patient, I hope every doctor does their job; but there are some that make it really mean something when they are taking care of you.

Enjoy the yarn, and the compliment.

 

Blogger f. pea said ... (Tue Aug 28, 02:32:00 PM EDT) : 

That shawl is going to feel really, really good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tue Aug 28, 08:58:00 PM EDT) : 

isn't it so great to be appreciated, even if it is just your job.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wed Aug 29, 05:26:00 AM EDT) : 

Oh, this post came along at the right time! I'm sitting here, trying to make sense of respiratory medicine and thinking "is it worth all this damn study..."
It is!
Thank you, Dr.

PS: The yarn was from a different patient altogether, right?

 

Blogger Macoco said ... (Wed Aug 29, 11:24:00 AM EDT) : 

The yarn is so beautiful and will make a beautiful shawl. Your story made me get all choked up. It was sweet and it is wonderful that he took the time to acknowledge your time, effort and caring.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wed Aug 29, 12:58:00 PM EDT) : 

It's about so much more than having the technical training!!! It's about that extra special care that people feel coming from you in that doctor/patient relationship. I think that yarn will be absolutely gorgeous as a candleflame shawl. :-D

 

post a comment