ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Deep Thoughts

My week on call is almost over, and in the last 2 days I've had 8 hours of sleep (in 2 hour spurts), and I am so tired that I feel more dazed than sleepy.
artyapex1
Why are there so many English words that do not obey the "i before e except after c or when it sounds -ay" rule? And does anyone else have difficulty spelling the word gague guage gauge, or is it just me?
artyapex2
As I was driving home, I caught the tail end of some radio program which commented that "The children of these (chinese) children will have no aunts or uncles" since said children were only children. Which got me thinking about how so many North American families have only one child, and that one or 2 generations from now, many people won't have aunts or uncles or cousins, and what will it be like to grow up without someone with whom you have a bond that is not as strong as your immediate family, and different than the links you have to your friends, and maybe you are close when you grow up or maybe you are not so close, but they are among the few people in your adult life that knew you throughout your childhood and played with you on holidays after dinner. And does this mean that weddings will be attended by friends and not relatives because parents are the only relatives still alive?

Labels:

Comments on "Deep Thoughts"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Mon Sep 03, 04:53:00 AM EDT) : 

I had the same thoughts when I first read about China's 'one child' rule. I can't begin to imagine life without aunts, uncles or cousins.

 

Blogger Jo said ... (Mon Sep 03, 08:20:00 AM EDT) : 

Don't worry - I have the same problem with that word - and outher 'gua-' words like guarantee as well.

I have never thought about children in China having no extended relatives. I can't imagine it - my Mom is one of 7, I am one of 3, I have 10 cousins...

Get some sleep soon!

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Mon Sep 03, 10:03:00 AM EDT) : 

Yeah I have a hard time with that word too.

I never thought about that with the one-child family. But um yeah, I come from a family of six, and the 'rent's have siblings who have probably 20 kids between them all (not counting us). I have met maybe five of those cousins, and met maybe 1/2 of my aunts and uncles. Chunky has only met 1/2 of his cousins and even less of his aunts and uncles. Distance does the same thing. I'm OK with it, and it's the norm in our family. I can completely imagine life without aunts, uncles and cousins. I wouldn't miss it.

 

Blogger Merry Karma said ... (Mon Sep 03, 12:47:00 PM EDT) : 

Girl! Get some sleep!

It would be weird (another non-i-before-e word) to be without aunts/uncles/cousins. Both my parents came from large families, and we have "cousins" allover the globe.

However, I'm not too against the one-child per family rule for world wide application. Call me radical, but our world is getting a tad overcrowded. (I guess most people would be glad that I am not running for public office, and do not otherwise hold any powerful, global policy making positions.)

 

Blogger Chelle said ... (Mon Sep 03, 09:40:00 PM EDT) : 

MIL and FIL were only children, so DH grew up without cousins, aunts or uncles...it is strange, especially when I had to explain to him the concept of "but they're family" when trying to pare down our wedding invites.

Hope you manage some sleep.

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Mon Sep 03, 10:18:00 PM EDT) : 

I grew up in a world where extended family is important and where siblings and parents are around all the time -- even if you just talk to them on the phone. I can't imagine a world without plentiful relatives, without being introduced to some random person on a Belgrade street and being told that this is 'cousin' so-and-so.

 

post a comment