ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Cursed bamboo!

My soleil tank finally finished drying, so I wore it to work on Wednesday. Initially, all was well, but after a few hours I noticed that the edge of my bra would show a bit if I had my lab coat on. Since it was cold in the hospital, I just buttoned up the lab coat.

I then got home, and proceeded to unpack boxes in a hot, humid, unairconditioned house...and then I noticed that my bra was definitely peeking our in the armholes.

I knew that live bamboo can grow at amazingly fast rates, but it hadn't occured to me that the straps on my tank top would do the same:
stretched soleil

So I will have to rip back the straps a good inch on both front and back:
shortened soleil demo

Sigh.

Labels:

Comments on "Cursed bamboo!"

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Sat Aug 04, 08:34:00 AM EDT) : 

I had no idea bamboo did that! Too bad you have to rip back because otherwise, the soleil looks great.

 

Blogger Chelle said ... (Sat Aug 04, 09:32:00 AM EDT) : 

Shame about the bamboo growing...I had no idea about that either.

Otherwise, your Soleil is lovely and the colour is fabulous on you.

On the plus side, your lace edge seems to be lying flat, I bailed on my Soleil when a steam iron couldn't keep it down.

 

Blogger CathyCate said ... (Sat Aug 04, 09:53:00 AM EDT) : 

Don't you detest it when you think you're done -- and you're not? Well, at least this is somewhat minor, but still obnoxious. Especially with the crochet trim. I feel your pain.

I will be dividing for the armholes soon for my Ribby Shell, which is in worsted weight cotton, and I hear cotton will do the same thing -- "grow" vertically amazingly -- so I am going to knit with that in mind.
There; blogging your bad experience will help others. Thanks for having this bad experience to save me from doing likewise!
: )

 

Blogger Lorette said ... (Sat Aug 04, 10:29:00 AM EDT) : 

I'd heard about this little problem with the bamboo. I'm making my bamboo top with a v-neck, so I think I'll make it a bit more modestly v-d than I'd planned.

 

Blogger Carol said ... (Sat Aug 04, 12:17:00 PM EDT) : 

Oooh. How frustrating! At least it's an easy fix.....

 

Blogger cpurl17 said ... (Sat Aug 04, 12:53:00 PM EDT) : 

Ugh that sucks about ripping back but it looks very cute on you!

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Sat Aug 04, 03:49:00 PM EDT) : 

Aw suck!!! Well at least your bra matched the color of Soleil--thank god it wasn't neon green bra day eh?

 

Blogger GURO said ... (Sat Aug 04, 04:59:00 PM EDT) : 

DDs Monica tank top had fast growing straps too, but I thought it was all due to her tugging on the whole thing, trying to make it a dress. I sewed them up an inch in the back. She will get another year of use of it when I undo that seam. However, that does not work for you, does it? Bamboo should come with a "growing" warning...

 

Blogger Jo said ... (Sat Aug 04, 07:42:00 PM EDT) : 

Oh don't worry - just flash everyone ;)

 

Blogger Quail Hill Knits said ... (Sun Aug 05, 06:29:00 PM EDT) : 

I am glad that I read your post because I have a tank top on the sticks and am just about to to the straps. How much did the strap grow over the course of the day?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Mon Aug 06, 09:21:00 AM EDT) : 

Yep, same thing happened to me. The tank top just kept growing and growing

technikat

 

Blogger Beadknitter said ... (Mon Aug 06, 02:55:00 PM EDT) : 

I'm so glad you shared this problem. Bamboo is a relatively new yarn to us knitters, so it's good when we can learn something about it. Note to self "no elasticity". Thank you.

Bead Knitter
http://beadknitter.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (Tue Aug 07, 01:44:00 AM EDT) : 

Yikes, sorry that it happened, but I'll beware myself.

 

post a comment