ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Friday, March 16, 2007

I climbed a mountain!

Yesterday I decided to go for a hike; the cross country skiing season is almost over, and the snow at the downhill ski hill wasn't great on Wednesday (actually the snow was fine, it was the ice underneath that sucked). So I went to check out the woods that are uphill from our house; I've driven past the small parking lot hundreds of times, but never stopped before.

Nothing like the prospect of coming across a bear to keep you on your toes.

There were a few paths from the parking area. They are pretty rudimentary, and the one I chose was quite steep. Within a few minutes I was huffing and puffing. I initially planned to turn around once I had walked about 20 minutes or so, but by that time, I got into the "I'll just walk to the top of that rise" groove, and kept on walking until I reached the top. It took me about 40 minutes to get there (including about 5 minutes spent taking pictures).When I got to the top, I realized that I was high enough up that there was still some patches of snow around.The view up there was great. See that snow topped moutain in the distance? Here's a closeup:

It's the west ridge of our local ski hill - is that cool or what?

A view of the neighboring mountain.The tree is obscuring Mt. Boucherie. Mission Hill winery sits on top, complete with a huge belltower. Word on the street is that the guy who owns it made his money on "Mike's Hard Lemonade". He then got all hoity toity, added a "de" to his surname and spent big bucks on the winery - there are a bunch of huge antique tapestries hanging in "The Great Hall". I've always wanted to go take a tour there, and ask which vat holds the "Mike's".


In knitting news, I did complete sock A of the Djungle Djaywalkers. You know how you are always supposed to read a pattern all the way through before you start knitting? Well, I didn't quite do that, and didn't realize that I needed to decrease the number of stitches in the foot in order to compensate for the fact that the sole is knitted in stockinette. Sigh. To add insult to injury, I realized my error AFTER I had kitchenered 38 stitches. But I decided that I might as well start on sock B, and then frog the foot of sock A once I had established that it's adequate to decrease by 6 stitches.


Greedo's kind of tired because he and Somerset went to get their vaccinations today. It turns out that Somerset was busy puking on the basement carpet when I shot this.Check out that matching!! I actually adjusted my cast on by 4 stitches so that I'd be starting at the exact same spot. Mental note - if I ever decide that I want to match socks in the future, I won't just start knitting at the beginning of a skein - I will find an easily identifiable colour change, and start casting on at that point.

Labels: , ,

Comments on "I climbed a mountain!"

 

Blogger mjm knitting said ... (Fri Mar 16, 02:44:00 PM EDT) : 

puking on carpets is not so good but as long as it's no where near any knitting it's even better

 

Blogger Macoco said ... (Fri Mar 16, 02:51:00 PM EDT) : 

What a beautiful area to go hiking.

Still loving the jungle socks - but so sorry you have to frog some of the first sock. :(

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Fri Mar 16, 05:35:00 PM EDT) : 

Pretty cool mountain. But the snow's gone from it already? Where on earth is this thing? It's still winter in Canada too right ;-)?

Love those jungle socks. Impressive matching ability too. Watch now you'll come to a knot in the yarn and it will muss it all up. Oops! I probably jinxed you! Sorry!

 

Blogger Stacie said ... (Sat Mar 17, 03:51:00 PM EDT) : 

that hike looks awesome! I came from SoCal, at the foot of a mountian, to the flat flat flat Midwest. I miss the mountians!! Lovely socks too!

 

Blogger Sweet Camden Lass said ... (Mon Mar 19, 08:14:00 AM EDT) : 

I shall have to get myself some of that 6 ply now :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tue Mar 20, 04:33:00 AM EDT) : 

Beautiful pictures! Makes me miss home. :)

The Djungle socks are great, even if you're having some frogging issues. I've been considering that pattern for my next pair of socks - yours are so pretty I might give them a try!

 

post a comment