ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

While I'm ranting...

Stuff heard on the radio:
Sextuplets - that's the big news: a woman gave birth to 6 infants in vancouver, each weighing less than 2 lbs, after 25 weeks of gestation. Apparently "their vital signs are stable and within normal limits" (this is the medical equivalent of saying that the blind date you are setting up for someone else 'has a great personality'.) Woo hoo. These kids are going to spend months in the NICU, and are more likely than not to develop Cerebral Palsy, breathing problems, hearing/vision impairment, severe cognitive delay,and/or severe psychomotor delay. And Mom's probably not in very good shape right now either (and the parents' marriage might not be in such great shape once the monetary costs of having 6 kids all at once takes its toll.) This is the result of fertility drugs - guaranteed. The docs involved would have offered the parents selective termination to improve the outcome of the remaining fetuses, but obviously, the parents chose not to accept it. How is that any different from drinking or taking illicit drugs during pregnancy? This was not a natural occurence - it wasn't "God's Will", it was Clomiphene. Now I know that people with cerebral palsy, blindness, development delay can lead happy and productive lives and be valuable members of society blah blah blah, but what parent says "Yes, it is so important to me that I procreate that I would rather have 6 sickly children than 3 healthy ones. Every Life Is Sacred." Yet another strain on the healthcare system because people don't realise that just because we can do someting, it doesn't mean that we should do something.

And this morning, while I was laying in bed I heard about the concern raised in a Northern BC town by Christian parents about a new provincial fitness program. The program involves physical activity every day at school. One of the activities is yoga. Now, since yoga is derived from at non-christian religious philosophy, there have been complaints that it is being taught in public schools. (Apparently this is also a problem elsewhere.)They played 2 parent interview excerpts - one mother was concerned that some of the poses include pressing one's hands together, and how can they take prayer out of the schools yet include this kind of activity. Another monther was more blunt "There's God, and the Devil, and when you take God away, the Devil will slip in whereever he can". And here I thought that the downward dog position worked to stretch out my legs, but nooooooo...it's a pose of SATAN!!!!!!!! (cue Dana Carvey voice complete with reverb)

Bah! Enough of people. I'm going to go propel myself through a forest.  Posted by Picasa

Comments on "While I'm ranting..."

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Tue Jan 09, 03:07:00 PM EST) : 

I agree with your sentiments on the litter of kids. What irks me even more is when people have one child already, can't conceive a second one, go on fertility drugs, and have a jajillion kids. Why? Ok, I'm all for big families coming from one myself--but hey, if you can't have another, consider yourself lucky for having the first one and call it good. Or adopt if you're really desperate.

Do you remember when the Church Lady would do her little jogging around her desk chanting "Satan's on your buttocks! Satan's on your buttocks!" I could possibly be remembering that wrong, but to me it was hilarious!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tue Jan 09, 08:30:00 PM EST) : 

I'm always baffled by the "sacredness of life" types when it comes to these kind of multiple birth scenarios. I would personally like to see a screening procedure made mandatory for anyone seeking fertility treatments that might result in multiple births. Because that future child has a right to a healthy life too.

And some Christians really make the rest of them look bad... Yoga? Are you KIDDING me? Do they not even realize that most of the practices now considered Christian are derived from non-Christian belief systems? The most recent being the obvious fertility-symbolism-laden winter solstice now know as "Jesus' Birthday". Good grief people, at least learn the history of your own thing before spouting off at the rest of us, ok?

 

Blogger SarahJanet said ... (Wed Jan 10, 11:45:00 AM EST) : 

I read in the paper this morning that the family are Jehovah's Witnesses, and therefore, the babies are not allowed to have blood transfusions.

Why in god's green earth would you think that six kids was a good idea if they can't have transfusions?! You're the doctor, not me, but I wouldn't think this would bode well for all six of them surviving. I had a friend in junior high who was JW, and she was forced to carry a card that said no blood products. (She hated the whole religion.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wed Jan 10, 11:56:00 AM EST) : 

Good grief, how ridiculous, on both counts. I agree with your rant completely. It's all fine and good to be a brainwashed minion, but when you use that agenda to make life-long decisions for other people, there is something very wrong. If a person can believe that "God made fertility drugs available," can they also not use their god-given brains to use the drugs responsibly???
The whole yoga thing is total bunk as well, especially since American yoga bears so little resemblence to the original spiritual yogic practice.
Hmm, guess I have some strong feelings on these subjects as well... Happy skiing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wed Jan 10, 11:56:00 AM EST) : 

Good grief, how ridiculous, on both counts. I agree with your rant completely. It's all fine and good to be a brainwashed minion, but when you use that agenda to make life-long decisions for other people, there is something very wrong. If a person can believe that "God made fertility drugs available," can they also not use their god-given brains to use the drugs responsibly???
The whole yoga thing is total bunk as well, especially since American yoga bears so little resemblence to the original spiritual yogic practice.
Hmm, guess I have some strong feelings on these subjects as well... Happy skiing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Fri Jan 12, 05:51:00 PM EST) : 

I'm telling you, ellipticals are from the devil! After having Lyme disease and the Parvo virus and not being able to exercise for over a year, I'm trying to get back in shape. I'm telling you, those parents are right!

Seriously, I'm not entirely comfortable with the ideas behind yoga because of my own religious beliefs, and it doesn't really work for me as exercise. But that's my personal opinion. As long as there are other options, who am I to tell people what they can and can't do? It's not religion that bothers me, it's closed-mindedness.

 

post a comment