ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Da moment you've been waiting for...

 Done!!

Da Socks fit Kyle well, now all I have to do is weave in all of the ends by 10 AM tomorrow morning (that's when the Bears game starts).

Da Stats: Cast on Dec 1, cast off Dec 30. Knit with 2/3 of a skein of Sweet Sheep sock yarn as the main colour, and about 40g of a skein of Sisu sock yarn as contrast (about 1 g of cat hair got knit into it as well, I think.) A variation of the Sock Wars pattern, using an afterthought heel. Both socks knit at the same time on a 2mm Addi Circ, with Crystal Palace 2 mm bamboo dpns used for the heels.

Random thoughts about this project:
I love the way that the areas with less dye made secondary stripes. I don't know if that's what Michelle intended, but it looks cool.
Once you cast on and get the first 2 rows of knitting done without twisting things, it's really easy to knit 2 socks on one circ.
I hate the Sisu yarn; the colour was perfect, but it splits and sheds fuzz and strands of yarn end up being tied together by fuzz knots.
Yarn bras would be a very good idea when knitting 2 socks at the same time - especially when using contrast yarn on the heels; there was some macrame action going on with the various strands wrapping around each other.
Large feet means that the socks seem like they will never be done; moreso if you are knitting 2 socks at the same time.
I can do kitchener stitch perfectly if I hold the needles so they are pointing upwards, rather than horizontally.
The afterthought heel is easy, but I should have done decreases every row for the last 6-8 rows to minimize the "corners" on the heels.
Grafting with yarn that splits/fuzzes causes grey hair.
Did I mention I hate the Sisu yarn?
It is possible to warp size 0 addis inadvertently by applying constant pressure to them.

Comments on "Da moment you've been waiting for..."

 

Blogger cpurl17 said ... (Sat Dec 30, 10:02:00 PM EST) : 

Oooh! I'm the first so let me say that Da socks are Da bomb!!

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (Sat Dec 30, 10:51:00 PM EST) : 

I second that Da Socks are Da Bomb!

Yay! You finished them in time! Go you 2 at once on 1 needle...yikes!! Tried it once, I only made it a 1/2" on the ribbing, guess I needed to hang in there. However!! Awesome!

Happy New Year! :)

 

Blogger Michelle said ... (Sat Dec 30, 11:34:00 PM EST) : 

Da Socks look great!
Yes of course I planned the yarn that way...ok so I didnt...but I still think they look so cool!
It is so awesome to see my yarn knit up!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Sun Dec 31, 07:44:00 AM EST) : 

Da Socks look fab!

Yarn bras would help, and I've seen something I think they called a 'yarn nest'. It's this round bag-like thing with 4 separate compartments for 4 balls of yarn. They say it keeps them from tangling, though I've never tried it. Maybe something worth looking into...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Sun Dec 31, 12:25:00 PM EST) : 

Yea for finishing Da Socks! You rock!

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Sun Dec 31, 01:37:00 PM EST) : 

They look great!!!!! I lift my beer glass to them and give you two kielbasas up! (Hm, that sounds perverse in a way).

Now all the Bears need to do is win and Da Socks will have great game winning ju-ju attached!

 

Blogger ZantiMissKnit said ... (Sun Dec 31, 05:52:00 PM EST) : 

Da Socks are Da Bomb! (I sixth that?!?) I'm afraid of 2 at once on 1 needle, so yay to you!

BTW, ZMrK's favorite animal is the snake, so with the cobra tattoo he is wearing his love of snakes on his neck!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Mon Jan 01, 08:03:00 AM EST) : 

Awesome! I love how the Sock Wars pattern works with that dye job.

So tell me, how do you really feel about the Sisu yarn? ;)

MJ

 

post a comment