ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Last minute substitution

Since the World Cup Sweater has been sent to purgatory (the spare room in which my stash and other stuff is stored), I decided to come up with a replacement project.

I bought this dress at a consignment store by my office last week, and decided to make a shrug so that I could wear the dress to work without feeling too bare. I'm starting with this Fibertrends pattern, but am making several modifications: lightweight yarn that's smaller gaugue than the pattern calls for, short sleeves, and no collar - I think I will try to do a Picot type edge instead. This is partly to make it more lacy, and partly because the pattern calls for 600 yards for my size, and I have 400 yards, and I don't think that shortening the arms will cut 200 yards off the requirements. I am also using an m1 stitch which is untwisted, so it makes for a more hole-y effect; because it's easier to do, and also to add to the loose knit effect. This is being designed for coverage rather than for warmth. I guess I could have done the project in a lace or eyelet pattern, but I didn't want to make it even more complex. This plied yarn (Silk/linen/cotton - Cottage by Berger du Nord - ebay purchase) splits like there is no tomorrow, which is quite the change from the kureyon.

My original intention was to make the shrug out of this lovely 100% alpaca yarn.
This is my first skein that was sent to my by my OneSkein upstream Secret Pal. It's wonderfully soft, and has a nice mixture of greens in it; I'm curious how they will blend together once it's knitted. I found some of the same colour theme at my LYS, and bought a few more with the intention of using it for the shrug, but I then came to my senses and realized that an alpaca shrug would not get much use in 34 Celcius weather. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to make with this yarn. It's so soft that I want to make something that I will wear directly on my skin, rather than just a hat or scarf. I need to look up the qualities of alpaca - other than knowing that it gets very fuzzy if you felt it, I don't know much else about how fragile/stretchy/etc it is.

Sandy has a good thing going with her Saturday Skies blog ring. This was the sky above town this evening.
Canada Day Fireworks, seen from our balcony. We love you, Canada!

Comments on "Last minute substitution"

 

post a comment