ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Friday, July 18, 2008

It always seems like a good idea at the time...

This is Angelique. She's a year old, and is up for adoption.

IMG_3229

Anyone have experience with bringing a new nearly adult cat into a household with 2 middle-aged bordering on senior cats?

IMG_3230
Why wouldn't they want me as a little sister?

Labels:

Comments on "It always seems like a good idea at the time..."

 

Blogger Kat said ... (Fri Jul 18, 11:39:00 PM EDT) : 

Well she is a cute little bugger so I don't blame you. As for adding a new cat to the household there are many factors. What sex are the other cats, what are their moods, and so on. I have brought home many kitties over the years, some fit in right away, others there were some small hissing matches.

The thing I have found to work best is to have the new cat in another room. Once new kitty is ok with life in there lock the others up and let the new one out to explore. Then lock new kitty up again and let the others out. Gradually let the kitties get closer the first time the old kitties see the new kitty should be on new kitty turf with you petting/loving the new kitty. This helps the old kitties understand that this "intruder" is ok.

Thats just a basic overview, but if you have questions feel free to email.

 

Blogger Ev said ... (Sat Jul 19, 01:30:00 AM EDT) : 

Oh my goodness, she is gorgeous!! I am soooo jealous; I want a cat (but apartment rules don't allow it)!

 

Blogger GURO said ... (Sat Jul 19, 05:03:00 AM EDT) : 

Oh my, she is a cutie!

I have close to zero experience with cats, but that does not stop me from wishing you good luck with this little girl.

 

Blogger Maggie said ... (Sat Jul 19, 07:49:00 AM EDT) : 

What's Angelique's history?

If I brought another (grown) cat into our house, I'm pretty sure the two ladies would be okay with it eventually, but Jonah wouldn't like it one bit. He's a bit more high strung.

 

Blogger Glenna C said ... (Sat Jul 19, 08:49:00 AM EDT) : 

::gasp:: is it a new addition to the feline family? A new wee whitie?
She is terribly terribly cute. ;)

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Sat Jul 19, 09:33:00 AM EDT) : 

I'm a sucker for a little pink nose myself.

I've only introduced an adult cat to a teenaged one. It's been five years and they still have their squabbles (one's a boy--older, and one's a girl--younger). They'll never cuddle, but they haven't killed each other either.

Good luck!

 

Blogger Vaedri said ... (Sat Jul 19, 11:01:00 AM EDT) : 

Oh, what a pretty little girl!

Kat's method sounds pretty good to me, but I personally have no experience with introducing a new cat to other cats. My kitty is not tolerant of any other critters at all, so it's completely out of the question.

Good luck!

 

Blogger Lorette said ... (Sat Jul 19, 11:56:00 AM EDT) : 

She's a beauty! I agree with Kat's advice (does it strike anyone else as funny that Kat is giving advice on cats??). Also, separate litter boxes. Trust me on this one. And lots of time, they'll hate her at first, but eventually will get over it.

 

Blogger Merry Karma said ... (Sat Jul 19, 03:48:00 PM EDT) : 

What a precious kitty!

I don't have any advice, but Kat's makes a lot of sense.

 

Blogger Jolynn said ... (Sun Jul 20, 02:59:00 PM EDT) : 

Aww. She's so cute with her big round eyes!

 

post a comment