ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Why do it the easy way...

I'm about to start knitting another Clapotis (I joined the Second Wave Clapotis KAL), and intended to use some Fleece Artist 2 ply Kid/Silk Blend. However, the 2 skeins total 400m, and the pattern as written calls for 750m. The 2 ply is discontinued, so while I was at the Kitchener Waterloo Knitter's Fair last weekend, I picked up some handspun, planning to intermittently using 2 rows of the handspun as filler.
2 yarns for clap
As you can see, the handspun (in the middle) has flecks of different colours rather than being solid black. In order to maximize my yarn usage, I'm thinking of dividing the handspun into 2 equal parts, so that I can use equal parts in both halves of the scarf. Of course, if I decide to be super precise, I shouldn't use any of the extra yarn in the increase/decrease section so that I can weigh the yarn used more accurately...but I am more likely to get blocks of colour in the increase/decrease section, so that is a good place to incorporate the handspun...or I could do a solid block of handspun in the centre...or I could use the handspun at the very beginning and the very end...
Argh!
As always I am amazed at my inability to decide my way out of a paper bag on issues that really have no significance in the grand scheme of things.

By the way - does anyone else have the same hesitation that I do in winding a pretty skein of yarn into a yarn cake? Because when it's all nicely skeined it's perfect and the project that it will be used for will look beautiful, and fit like a dream and will knit up almost by itself (not to mention that it will NEVER, EVER pool in an unattractive manner)? And once you wind it into a cake, it still looks nice, but a bit of the magic has disappeared?

But let's move on from my little quirks - to my kick ass Knitty Secret Pal and the latest booty I recieved:

I love this groovy card, and dark chocolate is always welcome...but the best part was:A needle roll!Complete with sock sized Knitpicks needles! And iron-on labels!

And here's the spooky part:

She sent me some groovy nailpolish colours...which seem somehow very familiar...

2 yarns for clap

...now where have I seen those colours before?

Labels: ,

Comments on "Why do it the easy way..."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Mon Sep 17, 06:36:00 AM EDT) : 

and here I thought I was the only one that looked at skeins that way!

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Mon Sep 17, 06:56:00 AM EDT) : 

Oooo...that nail polish and yarn--creepy! Ha ha!

I like that needle roll (or is it fold?). I don't have a winder so my yarn is balled not caked. I've never had a problem with the magic being lost that way. Maybe it has something to do with cakes v. balls?

 

Blogger Jo said ... (Mon Sep 17, 08:13:00 AM EDT) : 

What a cool package!

 

Blogger Vaedri said ... (Mon Sep 17, 08:39:00 AM EDT) : 

I'm always torn - the skein is so pretty, but the yarn cakes are so yummy, too. It's one reason I love Ravelry so much - I'll always have a picture of the skein now, as well as the yarn cake. If I keep up my stash, that is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Mon Sep 17, 11:35:00 AM EDT) : 

Ha! Too funny. Glad you like the needle case and that all the nail polish got there without breakage or leakage.

That Fleece Artist is just gorgeous. I know what you mean about losing the magic in yarn cakes. Right now the colors are all separated and powerful, but they'll be blended up in the cake. Such is life though.

 

post a comment