ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Needle-less Suffering

I'm almost done my week on call, and was able to leave work by 4PM today. As I drove home, I was relishing the time that I'll have off in the next 3 weeks. I'm going to be heading back to BC next Sunday, but this week I will have much knitting time.

I had intended to start working on my Sockapalooza socks when I finished the May Flowers Socks. But I decided today that I'd try to be like Turtlegirl or Trillian42 and try to knit a tank top in time for Saturday's TTC Knitalong. I thought that I should have time to swatch and cast on for a Soleil Tank out of the Earth Day bamboo yarn using my Denise needles. When I got back to the rental house, I went to dig through the suitcases to look for the Denise needles. No Denise needles. When I was packing to come back here at the beginning of May, I initially started to gather together a bunch of knitting stuff including various sizes of needles, but then decided against bringing ALL of it because I'd be coming back to BC for 12 days in June. So I brought some of it. And apparently the Denise needles got left behind. I hate having my stuff in 2 separate houses!!!

So I thought that I would get started on the Sockapalooza socks after all. I plan to knit a pair of toe up socks with a beaded cuff. This is sock yarn that I won as a door prize on the Sea Socks cruise, and I picked up the beads some time last year from a small bead store that is just a few km away from the rental house. Initially I thought that I would string some of the beads on the yarn so that I could test out the pattern, but these are size 8/0 beads, and although they would probably fit on the single strand of yarn, I couldn't thread them with the beading needle over the doubled up yarn.
So I thought that I might as well get started on swatching them. I have a 3mm Addi natura needle that I would have SWORN I brought along with me. If I did, I have no clue where I packed it, because I couldn't find it. So instead, I am swatching with 2.75 mm DPNs. The yarn is Panda Cotton, which has elastic in it, so I thought that I should get a rough idea of what the size will be like.
Now, some of you may remember that I developed a full fledged hate-on for DPNS while knitting the May Flowers Socks. But that was partially because the tips weren't sharp enough to deal with a the wildflower stitch. This time, the DPNs aren't the problem.
It's the yarn:

These plies are so loose that their phone number is written on the wall in the men's bathroom. Argh! Luckily my Sockapalooza pal has small feet. And it's summer, so a short cuff might be entirely acceptable. And the only other thing I have to work on ( other than the Poppy sweater, and no way am I picking that up in this weather) is the dishtowel. I wonder if Knitpicks does overnight shipping...

Today's cute cat photo:

The cats sleep in the basement, because otherwise Somerset will sit at the bedroom door and meow starting at 4:30 AM. Their food dish and a water dish are in the basement downstairs, but this morning when I opened the door to the basement, they both made a beeline for the kitchen water bowl. They looked like 2 piggies at a food trough.

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Needle-less Suffering"

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (Sun Jun 03, 07:40:00 AM EDT) : 

Hoping that soon for you all your knitting supplies will be in one area. :)

Yes, that Panda Cotton is splitty, but trust me, so nice and soft to wear, so your pal will love them. I wish there was a trick to knit with it easier though!

 

Blogger turtlegirl76 said ... (Sun Jun 03, 08:17:00 AM EDT) : 

That sucks not having all your needles in one place. You should keep your denise's in your luggage or something. That way they're always at hand. Too bad about the panda cotton.

 

Blogger Carol said ... (Sun Jun 03, 10:01:00 AM EDT) : 

Living in 2 houses is extremely frustrating. Been there. Done that. It got old really fast. And the splitty Panda Cotton, never used it, and now, probably won't! thanks for the warning...

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Sun Jun 03, 11:54:00 AM EDT) : 

How frustrating! Clearly, you need two complete sets of knitting tools, one for each house. Having two stashes wouldn't hurt either.

What are you waiting for? Get thee to a yarn store!

 

post a comment