ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Monday, May 21, 2007

I Hate Nature

So this morning I was toddling around the house, when I noticed that Greedo was staring very intently at something outside the door, flicking his tail. There was a baby robin sitting on the step. It was huddled in the corner, and every so often would walk a few steps away from the corner, and then scurry right back.


I thought that it had probably fallen out of it's nest, and I thought that if it stayed there, Greedo would dash out of the door when I went to leave for work. So I locked Greedo in the laundry room, got a dishtowel, and headed outside to see if I could pick the little fella up and put him in a safer spot.


I've fallen and I can't get up!


I crouched down and slowly shuffled towards the bird with the towel in front of me, prepared to scoop him up. I had done this once before when I left a banquet hall and saw a bird that was sitting stunned on the sidewalk - picked it up with a towel and dropped it off at the local animal shelter.


Well.

It turned out that this bird was able to fly, because once I got within a foot it squawked and flew up and away. And then what sounded like a flock of adult birds started squawking and swooping down AT MY HEAD. It sounded like a scene from The Birds. I immediately put the towel over my head, and ran inside. I peeked through the window and saw a very angry looking robin sitting on the garage roof, staring at the doorway. Luckily I had finished ICU call as of 7 AM today, because there was no way that I was going to be heading out the house through that door until that robin left his post.


At least the neighbor's dog likes me

Probably because I don't mock him for having a toy hedgehog. That and I have a box of Milk Bones in the car so I can give him one if he's outside when I come back to the house.

Needless to say, once I got home from work this afternoon, I stayed inside with the cats and did some knitting. I finished Sock A:


The "wildflower stitch" pulls every 4th row in, which gives the knitted fabric an interesting texture. I cast on for Sock B this evening while watching CSI. By the way - what is it about the weird effect that sock knitting seems to have on time and space - when you are starting, it seems like you have knit and knit and yet there is nothing to show for it. Then, in the middle, you find yourself suddenly having knit 4 rounds, and it's time to do the stitch pattern again. Then, when you get to the end, it's the knitting black hole again. I didn't use up all the yarn - I just decided at some point that I would start on the ribbing, and I kept going until I was sick of knitting it. I have to say that I am not feeling the dpn love. June's socks will definitely be be knit using Magic Loop.

Labels: ,

Comments on "I Hate Nature"

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Tue May 22, 06:04:00 AM EDT) : 

So what exactly was that bird doing? Did you check your pocket when you were done? Maybe that bird was the bait while another bird picked your pocket trying to pick him up.

Your neighbor's dog is gorgeous.

And I'm in total agreeance with your sock theory. Why IS that?

 

Blogger Jo said ... (Tue May 22, 07:46:00 AM EDT) : 

The baby bird was gunning for you? I like that first picture of your white cat looking out the window - I think that would make a pretty card. The dog has a stuffed animal he hasn't chewed to pieces? I'm impressed!

PS - my code word? Taxwixd. That *has* to mean something ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tue May 22, 08:20:00 AM EDT) : 

I hate birds even flying above my head - I was attacked by magpies often as a child in Australia. Your neighbours dog is beautiful, and speaking of beautiful, so is the sock.

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Tue May 22, 09:22:00 AM EDT) : 

Oooh, but that sock is pretty! I'm having trouble concentrating on anything else!

 

Blogger Michelle said ... (Tue May 22, 09:29:00 AM EDT) : 

I guess we are stuck in our ways...you are sick of DPN's and I am sick of Magic loop...so slow!
I am going to lettuce knit on wed...wanna come?

 

Blogger Macoco said ... (Tue May 22, 12:17:00 PM EDT) : 

Those birds are obviously evil and demented. Similar to the ones that live on my balcony. I sit out there and they gather on the railings staring at me and squawking. One of these days I know they're going to attack. I've lived there 9 months and there's been two dead birds out there....that's got to mean something!

 

Blogger mjm knitting said ... (Tue May 22, 05:09:00 PM EDT) : 

next time, i suggest letting Greedo out to chase the bird. it can obviously fend for itself.

i love the fact that you have dog treats in the car.

great job on sock A!

 

post a comment