ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Monday, May 28, 2007

CSI Marathon Baby!!

I got hooked on CSI last November (November 10, to be exact - I was out of town for a meeting, and turned on the TV while I knit in my hotel room. Watched 4 CSIs in a row). And today Spike TV is having a CSI marathon - and guess who has the day off? I'm hoping that I can finish or nearly finish Sock B of the May Flowers Socks
I spent the weekend with a girlfriend at her cottage, and while she did a bit of gardening, I worked on the sock. I did the heel yesterday morning. Yesterday afternoon, Sandi, Jacquie and I loitered at Alterknit for several hours, so I got some more knitting done.
My girlfriend wants to learn how to knit, so I told her that I would teach her during the "Girl's Cottage Weekend" that she is having in late June. I picked up a few skeins of cotton at Alterknits - I'm going to knit a oversized washcloth - more like a handtowel - for her cottage. I thought that a simple garter stitch washcloth would be a good starting project for her.I'm going to use the "ball band pattern" from Mason Dixon. Not sure if I'll need another skein or 2 of yarn. This will probably be my TTC KAL project.
Remember how I mentioned that I am not loving knitting socks on dpns? One of the reasons is that it is so easy to lose one of them. This has happened twice already. In Vancouver (en route home from the cruise), I had been working on my sock one evening at dinner and on the bus back to the B&B. I stuffed the sock into the pocket of my jacket as we walked back from the bus stop. The next morning I realized that I had lost one of the needles. I didn't think I would ever see it again, but surprisingly, as I was walking back from a quick trip to MECca (not it's official name, but a term that I coined for the Vancouver store, since there probably is a law on the books that you must own at least 5 items of gear from MEC to be a Vancouverite), I looked down at the sidewalk:

There it was!

And then on Friday, the Gambler had a morning flight back to BC. I did some work on my socks as he drove to the airport. When we got to the airport, I was 2 stitches into a new row on the working needle, but I didn't think anything of popping the sock into my bag. There was some stuff in the bag, so the sock was kind of sitting on top. I then drove back to the rental house, got my stuff together, and heaed towards my girlfriend's place. I stopped for lunch on the way, and while I was waiting for my burger, I pulled out the sock to work on it. The working needle had slipped out of the 2 stitches. I emptied out my bag, but couldn't find the errant dpn. So I worked on the sock all weekend with only the 4 dpns. When I got home Sunday evening, I noticed something on the ground as I went to get my stuff from the trunk:

A bamboo dpn, slightly the worse for wear for having sat outside in the sun/rain for 3 days.

By the way - when did funky nailpolish colours disappear? My blue toenails in the photo above were compliments of a pedicure done in LA. I decided to go to a drugstore to buy some turquoise polish to replace it, and all I see are shades of red and pink. The closest I could find to turquoise was a sheer blue polish. I thought that was one trend that would never die.

Labels: , ,

Comments on "CSI Marathon Baby!!"

 

Blogger Kessa said ... (Mon May 28, 11:56:00 AM EDT) : 

There's also the Law and Order CI marathon today too. I'm on call so I just plan to sneak into the call room for a while and catch whichever one I can!

 

Blogger Peggy said ... (Mon May 28, 01:21:00 PM EDT) : 

I love CSI too, I love Grissom. :) Good to hear that you found your DPN TWICE (that's quite a story!). I lost a whole set once (they were in a package). As for blue polish, I'm sure they have it at Sephora. :)

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (Mon May 28, 05:55:00 PM EDT) : 

Gee, that is one stubborn dpn that refuses to be lost! ;)

Cool nail color..I agree, why all the pinks and reds..I do like them, but a turquoise would be lovely!

 

Blogger Karen said ... (Mon May 28, 08:22:00 PM EDT) : 

You need a dpn holder! No more lost dpns (though, you do have SOME luck finding them!!).

I saw funky green polish when I went to get my manicure on Friday...I had a color called Wasabi on my toes a few weeks ago. :)

And hey, did you ever tell us what the initals for hubby stood for?

 

Blogger prairiegirl said ... (Mon May 28, 09:30:00 PM EDT) : 

Oh... I am so hooked on CSI (and it's on cable about 20 times a day here, so I can get my fix pretty much anytime I turn on the TV!).

I laughed when I saw that you found your needle not once, but twice! Too funny! It's like a bad penny... just keeps turning up!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tue May 29, 07:06:00 AM EDT) : 

Oh how I love CSI Las Vegas! Didn't know that was on. I was watching The Monk marathon!

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Tue May 29, 07:25:00 AM EDT) : 

What the hell are the chances of finding two lost DPNs that were lost outside of your home??? Wow.

 

Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said ... (Tue May 29, 06:50:00 PM EDT) : 

Um, would you keep an eye out for my lost dpn's?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wed May 30, 09:33:00 AM EDT) : 

You need to buy a lotto ticket! No one is that lucky.

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Wed May 30, 12:34:00 PM EDT) : 

If you see any of my lost DPNs, just give me a holler!

Your nail polish story reminds me of my trouble with black nail polish when I was a teenager. It couldn't be found, not even on Halloween, because people don't celebrate Halloween in Germany (or rather, they didn't back then, I think it's trickling over as a cool American tradition). I used to paint my nail with black permanent marker and finish with a coat of clear polish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wed May 30, 09:57:00 PM EDT) : 

I too can't believe you found your lost DPNs. For me, it used to be cable needles till I learned how to cable without one.

I have three words for you after reading your travails:
Two circular needles! SO much less likely to get lost/fall out; and you can try on your socks while knitting; and less tendency to ladder. There's a couple good tutorials, one with pics and one with video, if you google it.

 

Blogger Chelle said ... (Fri Jun 01, 10:58:00 PM EDT) : 

Great luck about the DPNS!

I thought of you yesterday when I had my nails painted. OPI (available at salons and beauty supply shops) makes several blue shades ranging from your deep royal blue to inky Sapphire to the "Cool in the Pool" pale, shimmery aqua blue that I selected.

Thanks for reminding me of how much I love blue polish in the summer!

 

post a comment